Sunsun Hw-402a For 29 Gallons?

NewToFishHobby
Hi,

What are your views about sunsun HW 402A? Is it good for a 29 gallon with live plants?

Thanks

Fruity
Personally, I'll never buy a sunsun again. It worked great until it didn't. If you're not super careful when doing maintenance, it's too easy to break off the small plastic tabs that attach the hoses to the top, like I did. No fixing it, have to buy the whole top.

I spent $20 more and went with penn plax cascade, it seems much sturdier so far. With the sun suns you really do get what you pay for, please consider getting a slightly better filter if you can. It may very well be cheaper in the long run.

NewToFishHobby
Thanks, I'll check the penn plax cascade. What size/model would work for 29 gallons?

Fruity
Thanks, I'll check the penn plax cascade. What size/model would work for 29 gallons?
I have the cascade 1000 and it seems to do a good job, but I am far from an expert so please do your research. There are many other brands out there also, everyone has their own preferences.

NewToFishHobby
I have the cascade 1000 and it seems to do a good job, but I am far from an expert so please do your research. There are many other brands out there also, everyone has their own preferences.
Fruity Do you have it for a 29 gallon tank? I am getting a great deal on cascade 1000. Is it going to be too much for a lightly planted 29 gallon?

Fruity
Fruity Do you have it for a 29 gallon tank? I am getting a great deal on cascade 1000. Is it going to be too much for a lightly planted 29 gallon?
Yes, I have it in a 29 gallon. The flow was a bit too much but by pointing the output at the back wall it works well. You can also drill out the holes on the spray bar a little bigger to slow it down if you need to.

NewToFishHobby
Yes, I have it in a 29 gallon. The flow was a bit too much but by pointing the output at the back wall it works well. You can also drill out the holes on the spray bar a little bigger to slow it down if you need to.
Thanks for the info. I ordered it, will get it this Sunday. What kind of substrate are you using?

Fruity
Thanks for the info. I ordered it, will get it this Sunday. What kind of substrate are you using?
My substrate is black diamond blasting sand. So far I only have hornwort, creeping Charlie, crypts, and swords, so pretty easy plants. I love the look of anacharis, but have had zero luck with it in either tank, ha! I keep thinking about getting osmocote for root tabs but have yet to remember to buy it when I'm at the store.

In the filter, I reused media from the sunsun- ceramic rings and matrix, with filter floss. I also bought a cheap coarse sponge for the intake because of the shrimp in the tank.

NewToFishHobby
My substrate is black diamond blasting sand. So far I only have hornwort, creeping Charlie, crypts, and swords, so pretty easy plants. I love the look of anacharis, but have had zero luck with it in either tank, ha! I keep thinking about getting osmocote for root tabs but have yet to remember to buy it when I'm at the store.

In the filter, I reused media from the sunsun- ceramic rings and matrix, with filter floss. I also bought a cheap coarse sponge for the intake because of the shrimp in the tank.
Thank you so much.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AllieSten
Replies
Views
AndyVE
Replies
Views
goldface
Replies