Sunsun hw 302 for 29 gallon

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by luke4313, Aug 5, 2015.

1. luke4313

luke4313 Valued Member Member

I was just wondering if a sunsun hw 302 filter would be a good idea for a 29 gallon tropical tank? I think it runs about 360 GPH I want this filter because surface area for BB and the spray bar that I can place an inch or to under the water for oxygen... This tank has 4 giant dianos and 3 platys....I know that is a little over stocked and not good numbers for schooling but the ammonia and stuff is good and has been for 18 months so don't give me a hard time please..THANKS!

Sent from my XT1030 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

A Sunsun HW-302 should be sufficient for a 29 gallon aquarium. Although if I recall, the flow rate is actually around 260GPH. 260GPH is still enough for a canister on a 29G.

And I know you say to not give you a hard time over your stocking choice, but it should never be ignored. I'm not going to post a five hour long read about why you should make changes to your stock, but it's not about keeping them alive, it's about letting them thrive.

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

You should get a few more danios. Other than that your stock is fine.

SunSun are hit and miss in quality from what I hear.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  4. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I have a the HW-302 on my 40 gallon and it works great. Best bang for your buck. It should be great for your 29 as well. Plenty of filtration.

5. LiterallyHydro

It is indeed an excellent budget canister. I have one running alongside my fluval 306 for my cichlid tank.

6. OP
    OP
    luke4313

luke4313 Valued Member Member

Thanks everyone and they are thriving I forgot to mention that in 4-6 months the dianos will be transferred to a 40 gallon!

Sent from my XT1030 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

I have a33 gallon and a HW302 and it just works great.
    The current it produces from the bar is in my
    opinion mild (all depends on how much you stuff the huge baskets).

Keep in mind that the water flows in directly to the bottom and the outlet is at the upper side (when you fill the baskets).

No issue with the quality (is my first cannister).
    Makes less noise than my terta aps 50 (suspended in mid air) and is (as you can see below) in the open.
    My sofa is 1m away from my tank against the other wall you can just see in the pic.

For the amount of money they ask you cannot beat it.

8. LiterallyHydro

Nice setups you have. Interesting top you have on the tank on the right as well.

9. AndyVE

Thanks!
    when I was looking for a tank I saw this one in a store and fell in love with it:
    the cover gives you easy access with loads of open space.

10. LiterallyHydro

That is pretty nice. I even see potential for completely custom lighting if what you had in there now was not enough.

11. AndyVE

It came with 2x 24W T5HO.
    Hope that would be enough...wondering about adding a CO2 kit though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice