SunSun HW-302 Adjusting Spray Bar Pressure

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by scrapin240, Aug 7, 2015.

1. scrapin240New MemberMember

Hi All, I just setup at Sunsun HW-302 in my 20 gallon tank.

It's a brand new tank, and my first experience with this brand. On my Penn Plax Cascade, the pressure on the spray bar can be adjusted relatively easily with a valve, on this there is no such valve. Anyway to adjust this spray bar? My 10 neon tetras seemed to be cowering in a corner right now. I have just put one extension instead of two and have it pointing down, as that seems to make it a little less powerful.

Any help appreciated.

2. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I would point it up toward the waters surface to make a ripple across it. This seems to work well for the fish, and helps with gas exchange. If the filter seems to still be too strong, drill the holes on the spray bar out to be a bit bigger. This will reduce the output flow.

3. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

Agree with BDPups, you should add the second spray bar and point it towards the surface. The extra aeration will not harm the neon tetras and will leave the lower portions of the tank with fairly low current for them.

4. scrapin240New MemberMember

Thanks for the input all!!!

I added the second bar back and pointed it upwards and that has seemed to help. I've seen them actually swim around the middle of the tank now.

5. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

Good to hear. The extra surface agitation should also oxygenate the water more. An oxygen rich environment is nice to have in aquariums.

6. JsigmoWell Known MemberMember

I love having the spraybar aimed up towards the water surface to create a lot of surface agitation and a circular flow within the tank. As others have said, it gives a lot of gas exchange.

I have mine mounted jut a few inches below the surface, aimed up at about a 45 degree angle so the surface is encouraged to move out toward the front of the tank. That way, you get good surface movement, yet the current isn't particularly strong in any one place down in the tank.

Using all of the extensions lessens the velocity at any given point because it spreads the flow out over a larger area.

It also lowers the back pressure on the pump, and gives you a higher overall flow through the filter, which is good.

Drilling out the holes also increases the overall flow rate through the filter by reducing the flow restrictions, but it slows the velocity of the "spray", which can help make the current less powerful. (Kind of like moving your thumb over the end of a hose. The more you restrict the flow, the higher the velocity of the spray, the more you open the end of the hose, the slower the velocity).

The only problem is that if you go too far with drilling the holes out, it can give you less even flow over the length of the spraybar because the holes nearest to the pump can hog more of the water. So you have to play with things a bit to get just what you want.

Personally, I like having the relatively high velocity of the "stock" spraybar holes to agitate the surface better.

One easy way to adjust the amount of circulation (strength of the current in the tank), when aiming the spraybar upwards, is to play with the angle at which it's aimed.

The more straight up you aim it, the less current it induces in the tank. The more you angle it out toward the front of the tank, the greater the current you get. So that's a fast, easy way to adjust the tank circulation without modifying anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice