Sunsun almost dead. Need new canister

Jaxsco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Title says it all. I have to use custom pvc intakes and outtakes so I can't hook up my magnum 350 without an adapter which I plan to pick up tomorrow. What are some cheaper canisters that are better than a Sunsun? Tank is a 75 gallon but I want lots of filtration. Build quality and ease to prime is very important to me. Thanks.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How old is the sunsun? What seems to be wrong with it, Maybe it needs a new impeller? sunsun is still the best canister for a low price.

Jaxsco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's about 10 months old. Impeller works fine. Just super low flow and very loud like there's an air pocket trapped in it somewhere but it won't come out. It's probably at 1/3 of its filtering power but it's better than nothing. I spent about 5 hours trying to fix it and I can't. I talked to some local fish buddies who own them and they couldn't figure it out either.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
try laying it on it's side.

Jaxsco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did that. Nothing works. Any other brands that would work? Better than a sunsun.

Ken Ooi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fluval FX 4 or better yet FX 6. These are built like a commercial unit, but not cheap!

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you prime it properly? If the return line is under water it won't prime right.

Jaxsco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did everything right. I'm probably going to grab the API XP-L. I've heard good things about it and one of my friends has had theirs running for 8 years. Plus you don't have to prime it!!!

Bump. Looking at the API XP-L. Anyone have it?

hacksaw15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jaxsco said:
Bump. Looking at the API XP-L. Anyone have it?
I have three of the original Rena Filstars XP3 and one XP4 been running them for 7 or 8 years and have had no problems. They all are very quiet. I have one in my bedroom right next to my bed (around 3 feet) and can only hear a slight hum.

Jaxsco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you for the input. I'm currently talking to the seller to either get a refund or replacement.

Jaxsco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ehiem 2215 for 75 gallon

My Sunsun is almost dead so I'm looking for a new filter. I'm seeing an Ehiem 2215 for sale. Would that be enough for my needs? I currently have a Sunsun 304b and my tank is primarily south american with a medium-large bioload.

ikolbyi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fissh said:
Fluval FX 4 or better yet FX 6. These are built like a commercial unit, but not cheap!
I'm using the Fluval 406 canister for a 55 gallon and have no (zero) complaints. Just don't use the initial media that comes with the unit at purchase is my only recommendation.

Proho

Reaction score
I've been running 3 sunsun canisters the newest being just over a year and oldest about 3 years with zero problems... At one point I let a tank...with no fish...kinda die out and it. Stopped but I emptied it..put the top and bottom under the tub faucet for a bit to force anything out and now it runs like a gem.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads