Sunset Honey Gouramis, Woke up to fry in my tank, can anyone help?

renegadefish
So I have had my male sunset honey gourami for about a month and looks like he mated with my female... Found a bunch of fry in the top cover of my 55 Gallon. It's not setup for breeding but it seems they have anyhow. I don't want to just leave the fry in the tank, cause I'm sure they will die... The male has been chasing all the other fish away from his area where the fry are. So what would be the best way to move them? Can I just scoop them up and put them in my other tank? I have a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon long... I have 2 extra sponge filters in my 20 gallon high that have been seeding for weeks. I could have one of my extra tanks cycled in a hour or so. I'm just not sure how to go about this. I wouldn't mind keeping a few of the fry if they survive. Any tips for the best out come? Any help would be appreciated!

mattgirl
I would just scoop or siphon out as many as I could and put them in one of you other tanks. I think I would start with the 10 gallon, filled about half way up. Since Gourami's have to come up for air it would make it easier for them to reach the top if the tank isn't filled all the way up.

renegadefish
Cool thanks for the information. Definitely wasn't expecting this but sort of happy about it

MrReal
Scoop or siphon as much as you can. It seems though that they are being good parents are protecting the children. Do you have something else fully set up for this? Cause Fry will die if parameters are not semI close to where they are coming from as they are way more sensitive

Btw, congrates..a breeding pair means you are doing well with whatever you are doing to make them comfy enough to breed

renegadefish
I was thinking of doing a water change in my 55 Gallon and using that water to put in my 10 gallon along with a sponge filter from my 20 gallon high that's been seeding for weeks. Parameters should be almost exact at that point right? Probably just fill the 10 gallon half way. Thanks for the help everyone!

mattgirl
I don't know about Honey Gouramis but I know 3 spot gouramis are like bettas. Dad will give them tender loving care for a day or two and then they become a tasty meal so I think the only chance they have is either removing the fry or have lots of hiding spots so that some survive.

MrReal
Sounds like you are doing it right

mattgirl
I was thinking of doing a water change in my 55 Gallon and using that water to put in my 10 gallon along with a sponge filter from my 20 gallon high that's been seeding for weeks. Parameters should be almost exact at that point right? Probably just fill the 10 gallon half way. Thanks for the help everyone!

Perfect !!!!!! I would love to get updates on how it is going.

renegadefish
Here is a couple of pics I just snapped

aliray
Usually gourami make a big bubble nest like a betta. Did he do that? If not what other fish do you have in the tank? Alison

mattgirl
Usually gourami make a big bubble nest like a betta. Did he do that? If not what other fish do you have in the tank? Alison
I think you might be thinking what I was wondering. Not seeing a bubble nest makes me wonder if they are some other kind of baby.

Do you have any live bearers in your tank? These fry look to big to be newly hatched Gourami fry .

aliray
Are you reading my mind? Alison

mattgirl
Are you reading my mind? Alison
hehehehehe, I think we must be on the same wavelength

aliray
Great minds think alike. Alison

renegadefish
Yea there is a bubble nest... Its all intertwined in the top cover plants.. They have bubbles underneath and it's all filmy... Many fry in there and the male gourami has gotten very aggressive to any fish that come near the area. I have never seen this level of aggressive behavior from him... I have 5 guppies in my tank but all males. Just by how I have seen him and the female interact the last few days I'm fairly sure it's gourami fry... I noticed them this morning but could have been there yesterday or even 2 days ago when I noticed him chasing her off, something he never did before.

Did just scoop out most all the fry and a large portion of the top cover... He was so upset with me... Looks like I missed a few that he has put back in the corner in his nest. I'll scoop the rest out here soon.. I'm so new and was not expecting this. I love these types of fish and would be cool to get a few extras!

aliray
Are you moving him with the babies are is it already done. I have read at least with the thick lipped to remove the mom as dad will take care of them and won't allow her near the babies. Good luck with them and keep us posted. Alison

renegadefish
I just moved the babies to the new tank... Do u think I should move the male as well?

chromedome52
No parent is needed once they've hatched, Gourami fry are bouyant due to oil content in the yolk. Honey Gourami fry are, strangely, some of the largest fry of the Genus. I recognized the fry immediately from the photos, even though it's been nearly 40 years since I spawned them. Mine also spawned unexpectedly in a large community tank with a lot of floating plants.

The toughest part will be finding an appropriate food for the fry. Microworms might work, Vinegar worms are even smaller and a better choice as they tend to stay in the water column. I don't believe they would eat any of the commercial powdered foods, but if you have nothing else, you might as well try. Infusoria will also work, but can be very tricky to culture.

aliray
No parent is needed once they've hatched, Gourami fry are bouyant due to oil content in the yolk. Honey Gourami fry are, strangely, some of the largest fry of the Genus. I recognized the fry immediately from the photos, even though it's been nearly 40 years since I spawned them. Mine also spawned unexpectedly in a large community tank with a lot of floating plants.

The toughest part will be finding an appropriate food for the fry. Microworms might work, Vinegar worms are even smaller and a better choice as they tend to stay in the water column. I don't believe they would eat any of the commercial powdered foods, but if you have nothing else, you might as well try. Infusoria will also work, but can be very tricky to culture.

Would they eat frozen thawed baby brine shrimp? Alison

Greenplant
That's truly awesome
Best of luck that's just great. There seems to be quite a few also when my 60 gallongets finished in a couple of months that's going to be my center piece 2 Honey GourmanI but two male now I'm thinking maybe a male and female and hope to get lucky.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

chromedome52
When I was breeding them, I was using eggs from San Francisco Bay - not necessarily the brand, but eggs actually collected on the salt flats of the Bay. The naupliI from these eggs are known to be smaller than Salt Lake nauplii. I know that they could eat those, but I believe most frozen naupliI are from salt lake shrimp, so it would be iffy.

The Bay eggs were unavailable for a couple of decades, as the area was declared protected and they stopped collecting there. Several years ago they were able to start collecting eggs again, and there is at least one vendor who sells them. However, they are now more expensive than the salt lake eggs because people are aware of the smaller size of the nauplii.

renegadefish
Ok well it looks like I have a round 2.....after I already moved the fry to a new tank my gouramis spawned more eggs and they just hatched... Going to have to figure out how to stop them now lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kansas
Replies
Views
Mii
Replies
Views
Hellfishguy
Replies
Views