Sunset Gourami Gendering? Question

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by Aztrya, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Aztrya

Aztrya New Member Member

Heya folks! So, I just recently got into the world of aquariums (I started working at a pet store, fell in love with a betta, and now I have 2 tanks... xD) and I 'accidentally' ended up with 5 gourami! (Customer came in with them, and I went home with them)

It's 1 Honey gourami that's very obviously male (because pretty brown colors!) and 4 Sunset that are... well, they're supposed to most likely be female (the customer wasn't 100% sure either), but one of the females is a bit more dominant than the others, and has taken the habit to occasionally chasing the other 3 females. She seems to have no trouble with the male though.

And well, I was basically just wondering if there's any way for certain to see the gender? I'm still learning, but I was told that Sunset are all basically the same kinds of colors so it's not as easy to see as with the Honey.

So, if anyone has pictures to show I'd really appreciate it (I do best with visual guides)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for any gramatical errors there might be, I'm from Sweden and sadly don't write in english as much as I used to.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

sun set gourami are a morph of dwarf gourami and you will probably get more info my searching dwarf gourami. In general, males are brighter, bigger, and when matured develop pointed dorsel and anal fins while the females stays rounded.

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Sunset Gourami is a color morph of the Thick Lip Gourami, not the Dwarf. Honey Gouramis may actually be part of this variant from hybridization. Honey Gouramis are not brown, so it is likely that is a male Sunset. Females are a paler color, mostly orange.

With pictures I could verify species and genders.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice