10 Gallon Tank sunlight vs tank light

Status
Not open for further replies.

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have live plants in my tank - hornwort, java moss, cabomba, and duckweed, they are all doing very well and my fish and shrimp love them. I bought them as they are "low light" plants. My tanks are on a table in my living room window facing north and they get bright light and filtered sunlight all day, I do not turn my tank lights on. Is day light equivalent to the tank lights or do they need more direct light? In the winter I plan to turn the tank lights on more but how much light do plants need.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The sunlight is fine but it is much stronger than your tank light. You may well find yourself with green water or other algae. The problem is that you cant control the intensity or duration and when it comes to algae that a problem.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Inconsistancy in light hours & intensity is the biggest problem with sunlight as Nate mentioned. Over heating of the aquarium can be another issue if it recieves too much direct sunlight. I think you would be best off either blocking out the sunlight or moving the tank to a different location. Very few tanks that get exposure to sunlight are ever successfull. Algae always rears it's ugly head.

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a couple of tanks receiving sunlight. One is my infusoria/FW pods tank, the other is a livebearer and moss "factory".

I use no filtration in these two but the second one was already a mature tank once I placed it there (due to glass scratch).

The infusoria tank, as intended, has green water (not like green soup) and receives only five to six hours of direct sunlight per day, while dwarf palm trees keep it partially in shadows the rest of daytime. This small tank is soft/acidic.

The moss & livebearer factory receives direct sunlight for 8 to 10 hours every day. The water is not green but tea colored. This tank has a 1/2" lay of "crushed shells" at the bottom with 2" of river sand placed on top of it (it used to be a brackish tank). This tank is hard/alkaline.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom