sunken wood question

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi
is it ok if i put a smal  sunken wood in my 10 gallon goldfish tank? what i have to do before adding it to the tank?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it is driftwood, boil it for a while(time I don't exactly know), and then let it sit in some water for a period of time until it doesn't float any more. If it is already heavy enough to sink, let it cool off and put it in the tank. I don't know if the wood could go in a goldfish tank. Just wait to see what other members have to say.
Tom

Alasse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have wood in my Goldie tank (quite a bit of it actually)......the only thing it will do for a start is change the water brown as the tannins release from the wood...and those tannins will change the PH of your water so you will need to do water changes to keep that in check...

The best thing to do if you can is put the wood into a bucket (or appropriate sized container) and let the tannins leach out in that....when the water in the bucket is clear...then put in your tank (me i couldnt wait...so i'm battling the tannin coloured water)

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks for the help guys,i have one more question....what kind of food will make my comets more colorful and shiney, is it protein or vegetables?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They need a balanced diet of both proteins and vegetable matter combined with good water parameters. when their healthy the will be colorful and shiney.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom