Sungrow Center Sponge Filter Review

JamieXPXP

Member
so recently I had gotten Sungrows Center Sponge Filter and so far I am loving it.

very quiet and it fits extremely well in my 5.5 betta tank. creates a good amount of agitation to the water so there won't be any film build up on the surface, which was the problem with the Tetra Whisper 10I it didnt circulate and agitate the water enough to my liking so I had to do water changes fairly often. although that is also a decent filter but I wouldnt use it by itself.

also the sponge filter was only 9 bucks which I couldnt argue with as all my old hob filters were $20+ and couldnt find ones that did what I needed them to do without being too strong or weak for a betta. I also do like the idea of not having to replace anything for a couple of years lol.

it does up to 10 gallon tanks which is good for people having a hard time with finding filter for their nano tanks.

I rate it 10/10 . I am extremely happy with this filter as I haven't found one I liked for a very long time, it is cost efficient and does its job well. although I do recommend trying to find a air pump that is fairly quiet especially if it is in your bedroom XD

Link:
 

RainBetta

Member
Good info! I have been looking at sponge filters and now I will definitely consider this one for my 29 gallon!
 
  • Thread Starter

JamieXPXP

Member
the one I'm currently using is for up to 10 gallon but it shouldnt be hard to find a good sponge filter for a 29g
 

RainBetta

Member
JamieXPXP said:
the one I'm currently using is for up to 10 gallon but it shouldnt be hard to find a good sponge filter for a 29g
Oh! Well then I'll consider it for my 10 gallon fry tank!
 
  • Thread Starter

JamieXPXP

Member
RainBetta said:
Oh! Well then I'll consider it for my 10 gallon fry tank!
it would work great in a fry tank
amazon has a good selection of sponge filters for 20g+ tank sizes if your interested. its where I found mine
 

Aquarista

Member
Right on, was looking for this info! Can I show you some models for your advice? ty
 
  • Thread Starter

JamieXPXP

Member
Aquarista said:
Right on, was looking for this info! Can I show you some models for your advice? ty
Sure I don't mind helping you out
 

Aquarista

Member
Okay ty, I'm having a hard time getting tank sizes vs bio sponge filter sizes. Also there are 3 varieties of filters I am looking at:

A

B

C


Filter A, looks like yours, which of the 3 would you recommend for a 5G and 10G?
What about B and C, do you think the smallest of these would suffice for a 5G or 10G?
In your case, what type of compressor (pump) are you using in terms of Wattage or power?
I have also seen some like yours (A) that have a container inside for pellets, is that your case?

If so, which pellets are you using?

Thank you for your time, very appreciated

Oh btw I have contacted all the sellers or resellers, I have looked at boxes online, and that info I haven't found yet.
 

bgclarke

Member

bgclarke

Member
Aquarista said:
Does it require any 'substrate' like pellets?
No, but if you can find small enough bio-rings, you could put some inside the horizontal arms for additional places for good bacteria to grow.

In my case I have my bio-media in the corner filters.
 

dwarfpufferlover

Member
Great info, hardly any on sponge filters.

One time I ordered one for a 5 gallon and it was basketball sized.
 
  • Thread Starter

JamieXPXP

Member
Aquarista said:
Okay ty, I'm having a hard time getting tank sizes vs bio sponge filter sizes. Also there are 3 varieties of filters I am looking at:

A

B

C


Filter A, looks like yours, which of the 3 would you recommend for a 5G and 10G?
What about B and C, do you think the smallest of these would suffice for a 5G or 10G?
In your case, what type of compressor (pump) are you using in terms of Wattage or power?
I have also seen some like yours (A) that have a container inside for pellets, is that your case?

If so, which pellets are you using?

Thank you for your time, very appreciated

Oh btw I have contacted all the sellers or resellers, I have looked at boxes online, and that info I haven't found yet.
ive never used models like B or C only A, so I don't be of too much help with those one.
no mine doesn't have a container inside but some people do prefer to have one that uses pellets but I don't really care either way. for A I would recommend the first one for a 5 gallon and maybe 2nd or third for a 10g.

the air pump I'm using is the tetra whisper air pump 10 gallon but I'm not sure about the wattage or power on it as I have had it for awhile.
 
  • Thread Starter

JamieXPXP

Member
dwarfpufferlover said:
Great info, hardly any on sponge filters.

One time I ordered one for a 5 gallon and it was basketball sized.
yeah it is surprising how little info there is on sponge filters especially with how popular they are becoming
 

bgclarke

Member
JamieXPXP said:
the air pump I'm using is the tetra whisper air pump 10 gallon but I'm not sure about the wattage or power on it as I have had it for awhile.
This is something I've been actively undertaking, as I'm always looking for ways to filter my tanks effectively while also reducing power consumption.
Half of my tanks are run with sponge filters or sponge/corner filter combinations.

Here is some info on the Whisper 10 air pump: 2.2 watts - 0.5 L/m flow

They don't have the most efficient power usage to output ratio compared to other air pumps I use, but the two I have (10 & 40) do what I need them to.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom