Sun Coral Question

1. locoyo386

locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Hi there all, I have NEVER done corals before, but I find myself liking the Sun Coral alot. I was wondering if they need a specific type of lighting system to survive or even flowrish?

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

They don't. They are a non photosynthetic coral that requires target feeding. If you are willing to feed it, you should be able to keep one. :)

3. OP
    OP
    locoyo386

That's what I was thinking I just wasn't sure. Thanks for the reply.

Have you kept them before?

4. harpua2002

Yes, I have one now. It's awesome! One of my favorite corals in my tank. If you click on my 29 gallon reef in my signature, there are some pics of it eating in my thread, I think on the last page. :)

5. OP
    OP
    locoyo386

How long have you had it for?

6. harpua2002

I bought it from a friend a couple of months ago. He had it for a long time before that, and kept it in several tanks before he sold it to me.

7. OP
    OP
    locoyo386

Are there any fish that would definelty be a No-No with them?

8. harpua2002

I'd be wary of any fish that has a reputation for coral nipping. When the coral puts its polyps out, they are soft and fleshy. Seems like they would be an easy target.

9. OP
    OP
    locoyo386

Cool, what about the perching fish like a yellow goby? Will they purch on the sun coral? If so, will that hurt the sun coral? I know that sometimes they purch on some type of coral and the coral does not do well when that happens.

10. harpua2002

I have a yellow clown goby but it is in a different tank. It does perch on corals about 95% of the time. I'd be worried that it might irritate a sun coral and cause it to not extend its polyps after lights out (mine extends them after the MH goes off, waiting to get fed). I am not basing this on experience though, it is just a guess.

11. OP
    OP
    locoyo386

Cool, thanks.

Also about how big do they get?

How do they break apart?

or do they stay as one piece?

I think they are like worms, right?

12. harpua2002

Sun corals? I'm not sure of their max size. Mine is the size of a softball when the polyps are extended and the size of a baseball when they aren't. There are branching sun corals available too. Oh, and have you seen black sun corals? They look awesome but are a lot harder to find IME.

It would be awesome if you set up a non photosynthetic reef. You could have an orange and black sun coral, a chili coral, a dendro, some non photosythetic gorgonians..... oooh, the possibilities! ;D

13. OP
    OP
    locoyo386

Not sure how much the Sun Corals are, but at the only store that sells them where I live, are asking $20 dollars for each head, and mot of them have about 8-14 heads. They are expensive.

14. harpua2002

GOOD LORD that's high. If you are willing to order online you can get one a lot cheaper than that! :D

15. OP
    OP
    locoyo386

Yeah, I am defenitely going to have to look around and see what I can find.