Sumps - Thoughts? 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by CraniumRex, Apr 21, 2018.

1. CraniumRex

CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

I am seriously looking at a 75 gallon with built in overflow (used) for a sweet price.

I'm assuming the overflow means installing a sump - this is not included in the package.

If you run a sump, do you like it? What are the benefits and pitfalls?

How hard is it to install one? I've been looking at YouTube videos but they are all DIY. I'd be prepared to purchase a commercially made one or make my own. I saw a used Aqueon sump from another seller but have no idea how to size one or how difficult they are to put in.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You don't have to use a sump if you don't want to - you can keep the water line below the overflow line, or you can even remove the overflow box and seal up the holes in the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    CraniumRex

Ah thank you. Still curious about sumps but great to know I don’t have to use one.

4. TexasDomer

I looked into sumps for a while, thought about putting one on my 44 gal - even went so far as to drill it and install an overflow box. I found many helpful forums and diagrams through googling "DIY sump setup".

5. OP
    OP
    CraniumRex

Thanks @TexasDomer - what changed your mind?

I’ve been YouTubing tonight - probably getting ahead of myself. Lots of videos for marine setups but they look super intricate. Reactors and skimmers and live rock oh my!

The look of heaters and such doesn’t bother me so might be easier to use the spare canister filter I have instead.

6. TexasDomer

The hassle and expense, mostly. I didn't want to pay over a $100 for a premade sump (those things are expensive!), and the trouble of making my own wasn't something I had a lot of time for at the time. I want to do it in the future when I have more time and money. I also didn't need a sump. It was a simple FW setup. I was able to find a cheap, quality canister filter too, so it just seemed like a good decision to wait on the sump.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice