Sump water level question.

scotp94

I have a 75 gal with a 30 gal sump. It has 3 chambers with a refugium in middle. My question is I can fill my sump about 2-3 inches from top with out it flooding my basement. When its above my refeguI'm chamber baffle the water in the refug at top just sits there and kind of gets a thin film forming. If I take out about 7 gallons I get it just above the baffel so it overflows into my bubble trap. So what would be better having the extra 8 gallons of water with a potential film forming or -8 gallons and not having max water volume. I do have a small air pump I could put in refug to break up the surface if needed. What should I do?

Aquarist

I used to get a light film in my W/D filter. I placed the tube from an air pump in it with the air stone. Did the trick, no more film. Too,the extra oxygen will not hurt

cerianthus

Having bubbles in Refuge is not good idea since such can drive needed CO2. Wether water in Refuge has more CO2 than atmosphere, can test for CO2 in Refuge, if desired. Once you know the CO2 conc. in Refuge, you can decide to add bubbles or not.
As far as determining good water level in sump, try few different water level in sump and unplug the returm pump to see which level is the optimal level without overflow and max water volume. Just make sure to be ready to plug/turn on the pump in case water level gets too high. Once optimal level has been determined, check to see if that level still cause film to build up. Keep us posted. Any pics of tank/system?

scotp94

Here some pics of my tank and sump. Ive only had my sump running for a week. I just added the algae on friday and the rubble. I'm going to put one piece of my live rock in there but haven't done it yet. Tank has been up for just about 2 months now and am just starting to get some caroline algae I think. I was expection it to be some of the purple but its florescent green If that's what it is.

cerianthus

What would happen if you kill the retrun pump on pic 5? Does water overflow from sump?
If not, no need for worry.
I could see why water can build film on top . Its already in use but If I had choice, would have water overflow into each chamber which would have eradicated/minimize film build up. For instance. if remove first upper partition by the sock, and lower the water level a bit, then water would skI'm from refugium into return pump chambers thus no film.
Dont know the capacity of return pump?

scotp94

The return pump is a pondmaster mag 7. My overflow box is a esshops 800 gph. So is there any other option to breaking up the water in the refug. I don't really want to do anymore plumbing but I could. Would putting in a bubble stone be real bad. I have a control valve so I could dial it down so its not overwelming. I can let the water level get about 2" from the top with no flood. I will be getting a protein skimmer in the next few months so that will go into the return pump chamber and break up the surface there. This is my first sump and its a DIY so I'm still learning.

cerianthus

After few decades in hobby, I am still learning, no end to learning, imo. lol!
If you meant to add coarse bubble in return pump chamber, I don't see a problem other than fine bubbles returning to tank, so small aeration to avoid such.

Protein skimmer: If you have pump for skmmer in last chamber and skimmed water returned to same chamber, some of skimmed water will skimmed again and again. Another partition in last chamber will make sure most of skimmed water return to tank.

scotp94

What I did is filled up water till its just above the first baffel. I still have a inch of room when I stop pump so I will not have a flood. Would it be a good idea to put a aquaclear 50 filter in the refugium chamber to break up surface. I have an 2 extras lying around. When I filled up tank more it seems to have stopped the scum from forming but for I'm not happy with it. Now my sock filter is just below water line and I'm not sure if all the water will be filtered now.

cerianthus said:
What would happen if you kill the retrun pump on pic 5? Does water overflow from sump?
If not, no need for worry.
I could see why water can build film on top . Its already in use but If I had choice, would have water overflow into each chamber which would have eradicated/minimize film build up. For instance. if remove first upper partition by the sock, and lower the water level a bit, then water would skI'm from refugium into return pump chambers thus no film.
Dont know the capacity of return pump?
I have had water level down so it would overflow into the bubble trap and it works good. But I thought havving the extra water volume might be more benaficial. But now I have the film on water problem. So its a give and take. Just need to figure out how to works kincks out.

cerianthus

If water overflow into bubble trap, probably film is building on pump chamber?
then you can gently aerate (coarse bubbles away from return Pump) or add AC to pump chamber. More volume of water is better but couple of gallon may not make a big difference. I would rather not have film building up on reguge. Any lighting on Refuge?

au01st

What about a cheap powerhead in the refugium? Just point it at the surface and keep it agitated. That will help with O2 exchange as well.

cerianthus

au01st said:
What about a cheap powerhead in the refugium? Just point it at the surface and keep it agitated. That will help with O2 exchange as well.
Yea, your ASM MinI PH will work perfectly but how esaily can it be obtained? Post, maybe others can obtained for such use.

scotp94

When I have water level low so it will overflow into bubble trap tank is just above half full. Probally about 18 gallons. When I fill it up to max there is probally about 26-28 gallons in tank so its a big difference. I think Ill buy a small powerhead (aquaclear 20 or 30) and point it up like the post above sugested. Any other suggestions? And yes film is forming in return chamber also but in the next couple of months will get a protein skimmer so not to woried about that one yet.

cerianthus

Its your call. You can use the PH in tank when PS is hooked up and have no need for PH in Refuge.

Latest threads

Top Bottom