Sump vs Canister Filter

Sordfish

I am in the process of setting up a 48”, 90 gallon high tech planted tank. I have the opportunity to get the tank in a drilled Version to set up a sump system. I have never owned a sump so I thought I’d reach out to the community for your thoughts. Here are some of the thing I am wondering:

1- How easy is to maintain sumps? I find cleaning canister filters and the associated hoses a major chore and so they often get extremely dirty My LFS said that sumps are much easier to clean. No need to clean the plumbing and everything is easy to access in the sump. Is that your experience. This is the main reason I am considering a sump.

2- What about CO2? Is there any issue with CO2 - beyond the fact that I’d expect to have to dose more, which is not an issue for me.

3 - I have lots oh nano fish - tetras, raspboras etc. - and shrimp. Will the overflow be an issue with them getting sucked into the sump. If it is a problem are there any solutions without reducing the flow from the drain.

4- Anything else?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Sanderguy777

I have never had one, so these are just speculations, but from what I've heard...

1. They SHOULD be easier since you don't have vacuums or any enclosed system (depending one the sump. All the ones I've seen are open top.
2. I can't see any issues unless you consider more surface area.
3. I would just put a sponge filter on the end of the overflow. It would cut back on the flow a little bit, but not enough to bither your pump or anything. Maybe you could get some stainless steel mesh...

Sordfish

Thanks. I like the idea of a mesh. I think you can get plastic ones from the hardware store for window screens.

Sanderguy777

Yeah, screen mesh would work (especially if you want it blend in a bit better), but the stainless would last longer.
I didn't think about it, but aquascaping stores might have that type of stuff (forest aquarium in San Francisco has a website, but there are others). Scapers want clean looking tanks, and have some really interesting products to hide unsightly equipment.

Sordfish

Thanks. No stores that specialize in aquascaping around Toronto - though just about every LFS has a small section devoted to it. Interestingly, most LFS direct their freshwater section to beginners and the marine section to advanced users. I’ll go to a few and check them out to see if I notice anything useful.

Sanderguy777

I just mentioned them because I like their store, but they also have a website.
But asking around at an LFS would be a good idea.

coralbandit

Go sump and make your own !
A 20 long would be perfect.
Here is a design that is meant for planted tanks to help retain CO2 ;

It has less overflows so is the perfect set up for freshwater .
I run 3 sumps now and the one on my 75g paladarium is the one I linked above .
I really like it and highly recommend it .

Sordfish

Thanks. This is helpful. I was thinking of buying a sump but I hadn’t considered they are not designed for CO2 use. I’ll check out the link after work.

Top Bottom