Sump Tank? Freshwater? Do I need it?

Hemikyle

Current Setups
125G Cichlid Community Tank - 40+ Cichlids, and 3 Catfish

60G (soon to be a 125G stocked) Planted Community Tank - Tetras, Rasboras, Dwarf Cichlids, Plecos, Dragon Goby, Dennison Barbs.

Question - I have recently picked up a 150G 72" long Aquarium by oceanic with a sump and over flows on each corner with drilled out holes on the bottom and top for over flows and filtration etc. it was all setup for a salt water aquarium.

Now would a sump be any good on a Cichlid Community Tank? Or a Planted Community Tank like said above? Or would it not really benefit at all for freshwater fish and maybe I should seal up the holes and use a canister?

Thoughts? Ideas?

smee82

A sump will provide work fine for freshwater tanks. Ive got one on my 110g planted tank and if anything it works too well and need to dose extra nitrates.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

The biggest sump I have seen is a pair of sumps under two rows of tanks . Approximately 4 metres long / 13 feet and a couple of feet wide and high.

A light is casually placed on top with duckweed growing in both sumps. Plastic shopping baskets full of ceramic media can literally be pulled out by the handle and given a shake to rinse.

I think the biggest advantage is the total volume of water is increased and water changes can be done in the sump.

Upvote 0

Eldy

I love the sump setup.. I got a 20 gallon sump on my 120gal and the new 125 gal has a 75gal sump.

I love them for large tanks. To change out the filter floss I just reach in pull out the used one, then put the new one in its place. Not once have i ever had to stop the water flow. And if you got two pythons you can drain the water from the intake on the sump and you can pump water back in with the second one into the sump for a non stop water change. Otherwise just turn the pump off drain the sump water and replace.

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

Which one would you think the sump would be better on if you could pick one.

The Cichlid Community Tank? Or the Planted Community Tank?

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Without any information on stocking it’s a stab in the dark to say a planted tank will be stocked to a lower level because you can’t vacuum very well and a cichlid tank may be stocked higher to help with aggression?

Perhaps the more heavily stocked tank needs the extra water volume?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hemikyle
Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views
bovinebambi
Replies