Help Sump Sound Driving Me Insane

etkelly22

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys, my first sump is driving me crazy. It is gurgling really bad down in the sump once it drains. I put the pipes under the water but it is still really loud. I’m using first pipes because that’s what it was previously. I have holes drilled in the caps of each with an air tube and the drain pipes themselves are relatively quiet. Its just when it gets to the sump it’s gurgling like crazy. I have my pump turned down to the lowest power and it still does it. I will attach a photos of my setup because it won’t let me put a video up. Please help!

Tank info: 180 gallon dual overflow.
3/4” returns
1” drains

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll guess there is a sag in the drain line that makes the water pile up and the gush/gurgle through when there is enough pressure .
Keep drain lines steadily pitched to sump with no sags and water will flow smoothly and quietly .
I have a 180 dual mega overflow with sump in the basement so pitch is no real problem for me but my line still can have no sags or water 'piles up'.

OP
etkelly22

etkelly22

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
coralbandit said:
I'll guess there is a sag in the drain line that makes the water pile up and the gush/gurgle through when there is enough pressure .
Keep drain lines steadily pitched to sump with no sags and water will flow smoothly and quietly .
I have a 180 dual mega overflow with sump in the basement so pitch is no real problem for me but my line still can have no sags or water 'piles up'.
My one drain line does have a little sag since it comes all the way from the other side and doesn’t reconnect to anything to add support. How do you suggest I support the sag? Thanks for the reply!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have used zip ties and eye scews in my cabinet before .I have added supports to hold hose up .I have used the Velcro wrappers with thumb tacks .
Anything that keeps line flat and pitched to sump .
Possibly you could shorten the drain tube to keep itself tight ?

OP
etkelly22

etkelly22

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
coralbandit said:
I have used zip ties and eye scews in my cabinet before .I have added supports to hold hose up .I have used the Velcro wrappers with thumb tacks .
Anything that keeps line flat and pitched to sump .
Possibly you could shorten the drain tube to keep itself tight ?
etkelly22 said:
Hey guys, my first sump is driving me crazy. It is gurgling really bad down in the sump once it drains. I put the pipes under the water but it is still really loud. I’m using first pipes because that’s what it was previously. I have holes drilled in the caps of each with an air tube and the drain pipes themselves are relatively quiet. Its just when it gets to the sump it’s gurgling like crazy. I have my pump turned down to the lowest power and it still does it. I will attach a photos of my setup because it won’t let me put a video up. Please help!

Tank info: 180 gallon dual overflow.
3/4” returns
1” drains
Here is the setup, I thought I added them already.

Attachments

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would remove the socks and let water in freely.
The lines ae not sagged but may at 1" be slightly small.
I would go over the bulkheads not in them .That just makes them smaller?

New Threads