Sump Sound Driving Me Insane Help

Discussion in 'Sump' started by etkelly22, Dec 1, 2018.

1. etkelly22Valued MemberMember

Hey guys, though this is a freshwater tank, I wanted to post it on the saltwater side because I know most of you have a lot of experience with sumps It is gurgling really bad down in the sump once it drains. I put the pipes under the water but it is still really loud. I’m using first pipes because that’s what it was previously. I have holes drilled in the caps of each with an air tube and the drain pipes themselves are relatively quiet. Its just when it gets to the sump it’s gurgling like crazy. I have my pump turned down to the lowest power and it still does it. I will attach a photos of my setup because it won’t let me put a video up. Please help!

Tank info: 180 gallon dual overflow.
    3/4” returns
    1” drains

Attached Files:

2. Zigi ZigWell Known MemberMember

Replace Sump with FX6 Fluvel Canister

3. etkelly22Valued MemberMember

Not an option after I’ve setup and put money I to the sump. $350+ for a fx6 and sump is more efficient for my stock plan.

4. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I'm not sure how familiar you are with sumps, but once you have a setup like that you can't simply switch (and going from a sump to a canister is taking a giant step backwards IMHO). Generally a tank that size with dual overflows is drilled and a sump is pretty much the only option. @ the OP I will try to do some basic trouble shooting for you.

1) I assume your tank is drilled with dual overflows? No overflow boxes with siphons or anything like that?
    2) At about what level in your sump do you have the water? I found my tank runs considerably quieter when I keep the sump about 2/3 full
    3) When you hear the gurgling do you see a noticeable drop in water level in the overflows? Mine does that on occasion when random debris gets in the return pump
    4) Do you wet the new (or cleaned) filter socks each time before you switch them out? I made the mistake of not doing that once and my tank went nuts with gurgling for several days before it settled, it also sheds bits into the return pump which can cause a partial clog (and the gurgling as it struggles to maintain flow)
    5) what equipment are you running in your sump? (ie Protein Skimmer, Return Pump) and what are the various filters you have in there?
    6) About what turnover rate/setting are you running your return pump at?

5. bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Dual overflows... Is this a Herbie design? Are u using a gate valve to control the flow down to the sump? My FW sump is silent when the gate valve is adjusted properly. I currently just set it to be silent after a water change, and after about it a week or gets noisy again, which is a good way to remember to do a water change .

6. bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Once you go sump, you don't go back.

7. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Agreed. Kind of like being handed the keys to a Ferrari and liking it except for an interior rattle and then being told to fix the rattle by trading the Ferrari in for a Kia.

8. etkelly22Valued MemberMember

1. Yes, pre drilled.
    2. I have mine about 2 thirds as well, there are 2 baffles right before my return pump so I fill as much as I can without going river the baffles and making them pointless.
    3. At first yes I did until I drilled more holes into the standpipes. Would get quiet for a second then get loud and gurgle while lower the overflow level.
    4.At the recommendation of another user, I’ve taken them out and replaced with poly fill. Whoever owned the tank before me cut the slots for them to sit in slightly bigger than the 4” ones and too small for the 7” so it was just a hassle all around. I have noticed it is a little quieter though without them in.
    5. No skimmers or anything, just the jebao dcs 12000 pump.
    6. The pump is rated for 3000+ gph but if I turn it up past the 3rd or 4th setting, the gurgling/splashing is a lot louder.
    I think my drains may be struggling to keep up with the return.

9. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Obviously you are running dual overflows, but it seems strange to me that they would only have 4 inch wide socks on a tank that size. I have a 90 gallon with a single overflow and I have a 7 inch sock on mine, although mine ties directly onto the hose that drains into the sump. Have you also checked the return pump for debris, just to see if there is anything that might be partially clogging it? Also, I know you are running freshwater and not salt, but it is possible for the little air hose on the top of the overflow piping to get build up or partial clogging and that can definitely cause what you are talking about. With saltwater we get salt buildup in them and periodically have to run a pipe cleaner through it.

Oh and I do find it interesting that somethings are at least consistent with Jebao DC pumps. I have the DC8000T return pump on my 90 gallon setup and if I turn it anything higher than 4 (with a max of 10 speeds) it starts to sound like a full on churning, splashing ocean current in my living room. I bought my setup used and it was set at 4 by the prior owner, so I can only assume they came to the same conclusion. :D

10. bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Are you running two Durso standpipes? That's very different from a proper Herbie setup.

Also, if your drains weren't keeping up with the pump, you would know within minutes... With a nice waterfall from your display tanks onto the floor ;)

Sounds like when you increase the flow on the pump you are getting bubbles into the sump, probably because you dont have a full siphon (Herbie ensures that). Also usually bad idea to have horizontal runs in your drain lines. Air will get stuck and cause bubbling. I use flexible tubing on my drains and they are vertical down into the sump

11. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Good point, didn't even think about the flexible tubing. I have one running from my overflow down into the sump that is flexible and there is a little bit of bending and flexing periodically while it is running.