Sump size

stiggy614

I have a 20 gallon all glass already. Would that be a good size for a sump on a 75 gallon Saltwater tank?

lew2000

20g might be to small for a 75g. Usually the rule of thumb for sump size is 50% or close to the volume of the display tank. Better to be on the + side of the main tank. O f course depends on dimensions of stand and what else will be underneath.

stiggy614

Kinda of limited with room. the sump already takes up half of the usable size under the stand.

au01st

lew2000 said:
20g might be to small for a 75g. Usually the rule of thumb for sump size is 50% or close to the volume of the display tank. Better to be on the + side of the main tank. O f course depends on dimensions of stand and what else will be underneath.
Sump size all depends on what you want to put in there. As long as you have enough space for your equipment, you're good to go. A refugium should be 10% or more of the tank's volume.

I have a 20 gallon sump for my 75 gallon tank and it's working great. I have a 40 gallon I plan to use as a sump/refugium when I make a new stand. The new setup will have the fuge on the left and sump on the right with the return pump in the middle.

stiggy614

Using the sump for heater, skimmer. and possibly a carbon filer pad.

travie

Any sized sump is better then no sump at all.

reefplayground

amen to that. use as large of a sump as you can fit under your aquarium. You never know when you might want to upgrade/install new equipment.

Latest threads

Top Bottom