Sump Size

bdrou
Forum,

If I build a sump what size would be recommended? (For a 55 U.S gallon fish tank).

agsansoo
Basic rule for sump size is 1/3 the volume of your display tank. ( really not sure who makes up all these rules ... LOL ) So around 15-20 gallons.

sgould
I thought it was Dino...

bdrou
Repliers,

Thank you very much for the info, I'm still trying to decide if I should make one.

offminded
how do you plan on making one? I am looking into sumps as well and the ones that I see cost somewhere in the $100 - $150 range.

agsansoo
Custom built sumps are pricey. My second sump was a 10 gallon acrylic ($100), which cracked one week after I installed it. My third custom sump was a 10 gallon glass tank with only one baffle. Cost only $35.

offminded
is it possible to do a 10 - 20 gallon sump made from a glass aquarium?

agsansoo
davbrown79 said:
is it possible to do a 10 - 20 gallon sump made from a glass aquarium?
Yes ! Many many people do this every day. My first sump was a 5 gallon glass tank.

119.jpg

To make the baffle I use replacement window plexiglass siliconed to the glass sides. Works great.

offminded
wow...that's awesome...how many chambers do you have in your sump? on a scale of 1 - 10...1 being super easy and 10 being don't even bother...how easy or difficult is it to build?

agsansoo
My first sump (pictured above) was a 2 to build. The hard part is figuring out how to keep it from overflowing. It was only a 5 gallon tank with no overflow box ! I got wiser on my second sump. The trick is to have the largest return section possible, without overflowing the main display tank, should the return pump stop running. (I'm baiting you for the next question) LOL

bdrou
Forum,

I had thoughts about this sump idea and was wondering would a styro foam box be suitable for this purpose.^-^
Bryce

agsansoo
No ! But a plastic container would work.

Gozer_1
I'm, very slowly, building a sump fuge out of a 20 gal glass tank. I'll be using plexiglass baffles. I'ts tough to fit all you want into one little space. I want the biggest possible fuge space, but I also want my skimmer and other junk down there. Not to mention having enough room for the return pump. That 20 I'll be using seems to shrink every time I think about it.

bdrou
Forum,

I have a 55 gallon saltwater fish tank, my stand has a wall in between it (in the bottom to make two sections) would it be unsafe making two holes for piping in it? Or is that even used for support?

Bryce

Gozer_1
You'd be fine drilling a couple holes. That does support the middle of the tank but it's not going to hurt with just two holes. Just make sure you leave as much space between each hole and to the edge of the center support as you can.

bdrou
Replier(s),

Thanks for the information.

Bryce

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom