Sump Set Up Help

1. alex11

alex11 New Member Member

I have a 20g long and a 29 gallon that are going on the same stand, one on top of the other. I want to set them up as one system where the bottom works like a sump and have them both filtered with a canister filter with the input and output being in the 29g . The 29g will be a community tank and the 20g will have african clawed frogs so it will need lower flow than the 29. Anyone who can help please do not sure if that is even possible but please share your advice. Thanks in advanced.

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn’t do a filtration system like that.

Cross contamination would be too easy so if one tank gets a disease, the other tank gets it too.

I would get 2 different filters for the 2 tanks.

3. OP
    OP
    alex11

alex11 New Member Member

I know cross contamination is a risk but only one tank will have fish in it so does that reduce the risk? My frogs only eat live food but I feed them mainly ghost shrimp and earthworms they eat rosy reds occasionally but I wouldn't feed fish in this type of setup.

4. 75g Discus Tank

I wouldn’t do it. Another problem is parameter problems. If a fish or frog dies, the ammonia will rise in both tanks and can cause a mass die-off.

5. OP
    OP
    alex11

alex11 New Member Member

I understand the risks but plumbing wise I need help. Both tanks will be connected so I can over filter without stressing the frogs out due to too much flow and to dilute the frogs waste so I can do less water changes. The bottom tank will be very lightly stocked with hardy fish. Probably mollies to breed as feeders for my tiny frogfish maybe a pleco. I don't have the money to buy 2 canister filters right now.

6. 75g Discus Tank

a 20 long and a 29 don't need canisters. They will suffice well with HOBs or just sponge filters.

7. OP
    OP
    alex11

alex11 New Member Member

HOB aren't keeping up with the frogs

8. 75g Discus Tank

So you already have the frogs?

What do you mean that HOBs arent keeping upp with the frogs?

Parameter wise?
    Water clarity?

9. OP
    OP
    alex11

alex11 New Member Member

The problem is the amount of filtration they need causes too much water movement and stresses them out. I need a way to have heavy filtration and low water movement. Right now I have a 55 gallon filter and they hide all the time but the tank is perfect, I had a 20 gallon filter and they were very active but the tank was a mess.

10. 75g Discus Tank

Try using the water bottle filter baffle method.

11. OP
    OP
    alex11

alex11 New Member Member

Will try that tomorrow. Thanks