Sump questions

1. b

bgb420 New Member Member

I have been searching for this answer and it's nowhere to be found. First off I have a marineland 200 gallon deep dimension tank. I got it used and it didn't come with any of the plumbing. I winged it and made it myself. My idea makes it simple to start the flow. My concern is if the power goes out and the water stops siphoning. When the power comes back on and the pumps kick back on, it will run my sump empty and just burn out my pumps or start a fire under my tank. How do you get the siphon to start back up without being there physically? I might have to go with a drain style instead of a siphon pickup tube. I want to eliminate the gurgling sound of a drain though. Thanks for any help.

2. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

No Idea how to answer your question, but Welcome to Fishlore! You've come to the right place, I'm just not the right person. XD

3. j

jpm995 Well Known Member Member

How do you keep the sump from overflowing when the power fails? As far as restarting i don't see an obvious way to fix unless you wire a switch to monitor water depth in the sump to shut off the pump. You may want to post in the salt water section those guys use sumps much more than fw folks. They do make overflows designed to quiet down the gurgling sound i believe.

4. Big Red

Big Red Well Known Member Member

Is your tank drilled?
    If its not then there is a air water pump that creates a syphon automatically when it stops.

Ive done it both ways with a sump I prefer drilled over syphon overflow any day.

For the gurgling youve got air in your overflow tubes. Best way to remove it is drill a hole just a little smaller than an airline and stuff it I there bri gthe tube up to where it will not pull water. There are other ways too but it all takes messing around with it.

Joey DIY king on youtube has great stuff for sumps.

Also pictures of setup will help too. We love pictures here.

5. OP
    OP
    b

bgb420 New Member Member

It is drilled. It's called a corner flow. It has towers in the corners and all the drain and return lines are behind them. I stop the sump from overflowing by putting the return and pickup lines right at the top of the water level. Only a small amount can siphon before it takes air and stops. I will try the saltwater area.

I see no way to post a pic?

6. Big Red

In the reply box theres a square pic tab click it to add it.

7. j

jpm995 Well Known Member Member

If your on a pc there's a add image to post on the bottom left of reply field. I don't post from phone so can't help with that.

8. OP
    OP
    b

bgb420 New Member Member

I only have phone. This is another of the many sites that forces me to use the mobile version. I have left three of these forums now because of it. Well never mind I guess. It seems I will just figure this all out on my own.

9. Big Red

Screenshot_2016-07-03-22-47-04.png
    Thisis a picture of one of my overfIows. Maybe this helps the top of the pipe has slits and below that are holes drilled. I have a airline dropped down inside about 4 inches and comin out the top above my prefilter floss. This stopped my gurgling

10. OP
    OP
    b

bgb420 New Member Member

Thanks big red. That does make sense. Allows the air to escape without forming a bubble and popping at the top of the pipe. That will take care of all of my problems. I was hoping to keep the siphon pickup but without being here 24 hours a day is not worth the consequence if it stops. Not unless I get a real basement sump pump with the float level shutoff.