sump pump poring into hob

scotty b
if t tube my sub punp so the output goes into my hob filter will it be more effective ?
it would be 400gph sub pump going into a 400 gpa hob so I thought 800 gpa that would be awesome

Stang Man
That would depend on the inlet and outlet of the device to be able to handle do you know of the size fittings that is the inlet and outlet of the sump? My guess is that they are 3/4 inlet and 1/2 return (outlet) if so then that would probably be to much head pressure to be able to do 800 GPH 600 GPH maybe but will depend on the actual size of the plumbing....

scotty b
the pump has 1/2" tubing I clocked it going into the top tank at at least 300 gph
I'm wanting to set up a sump but still working on the plans

Stang Man
What size tank do you have? Do you have room under the tank? Is the tank pre drilled?

scotty b
right now I have two 40s on a rack not pre-drilled the bottom tank had nothing but plants and 5 small fish and I was thinking of making a drawer trickle filter into the bottom tank but I'm getting 2 80s tomarow one is drilled but has a crack that leaks and the other is just a plan 80 breeder I'm thinking I may try to patch the drilled tank and use ether a forty or the other 80 as a sump

Stang Man
Is this for fresh or saltwater application?

scotty b
fresh water not as effective as in salt water but still better them most filters

Stang Man
Then in that case I would do the 40 underneath and use the 80 for display however at that size you will need for the display an 1 1/4 inch hole or a overflow box installed and a return of 3/4 inch at 4.5 foot head pressure using a 850 GPH pump.

Stang Man
Or less for the application depending on water flow needs.

scotty b
well I was thinking id run a sump and a hob just to make the water perfect maybe start a shrimp colony in the sump my pump is 400 gph but it has a 4- 6 ft lift

Stang Man
That should be just right for fresh water you should have a flow rate of about 320 gallons per hour that is 4 times turn over rate.

scotty b
the sump would be at 320-400gpa and the hob would be at 400 gpa so I think that would work well

Stang Man
As long as the bulk heads are the proper size for the flow to happen.

scotty b
nope dream of having sup is dead again tanks where 55s and both glass and the has a smashed up bottom

Stang Man
Well that's a bummer!!! Hoefully it will work out for you some how.....

scotty b
I may go with a above tank sump with shrimp or something living in it

Stang Man
I would suggest a refugium for the tank if your going to go that route.

scotty b
yes that's what I was going for lol how effective will this be in a fw ? will I need other filters?

Stang Man
In Freshwater would not benefit much other than adding more volume, in salt it's a total different story.

scotty b
my dreams of a sump may come true looky what I found :3

Stang Man
That's not a sump it's a wet and dry filter. FYI Big difference upon a sump a trickle filter is good for fresh but not good for saltawter applications.

scotty b
hmm well mayhaps ill revamp it to a sump or just cannibalize it for parts

Stang Man
Just take out the bio balls and tray that trickles the water over the balls and there you go you have a sump it's that easy......

scotty b
what would be better for my set up a sump refugium or trickle filter ??

Stang Man
Not to through you off course but a Refugium is totally different than a sump and trickle filter, what you are looking at on Craigslist is a trickle filter and all that you need to do in order to make a sump is remove the bioballs and the top tray that water enters and sprays if you will on the bioballs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HarrisonMG
Replies
Views
scotty b
Replies
Views
Betrayer
Replies
Views