Sump Plumbing

1. kjlife Member Member

So I recently bought a 135 gallon with 2 holes drilled in the back towards the top and split apart so not close enough for one over flow so I'm wondering 2 things
    1. Should I do 2 overflows and one have a straight pipe and one have a bent towards pipe or 1 overflow and use the other hole for a return
    2. What kind of pump should I buy for the sump portion
    Thanks in advance

2. matsungit Well Known Member Member

This video should help.

3. Roddawg Initiate Member

HI Kjlife; I have had this dilemma the past few weeks whilst trying to devise the best overflow drilled tank method before drilling my tank.

Firstly my question was how I was gonna get solids off the bottom, as my observation was aside from vacuuming there wasn't really a way. And overflows are generally seeming more suited and designed for saltwater however.. extremely useful in freshwater. So I figured I was gonna have an overflow and a second hole dedicated to a siphon using an aqualifter to ensure no airlock and to ensure priming occurs in the event of a power out.

Please feel free to look at my sump ideas and what I have used and pm for other suggestions and ideas.

ALSO understanding of the external overflow box with internal weir options vs Internal overflow box a weir also the drain arrangement to the sump ie siphon or gravity ..then which method ie beananimal, turso as a newbie to sumps at first was a little daunted.. but the end result I was going with was H20 overflow and h20 stealth overflow box as this suited me in everyway and was extremely customisable.

Cheers

4. kjlife Member Member

I have seen those h2o overflows and I think that would work perfectly with the way this tank has been drilled but 80$ for an overflow is a lot was looking for a cheaper method
    I'm just uncertain if I'd be better off with 2 overflows so I could do like one box as gravity feed and one box as siphon then I'd have a return coming over the back or just one siphon over flow with the return coming in through the other drilled hole

5. ounderfla69 Member Member

A picture of your tank would be helpful but you cam make an internal box across the back of the tank. .then build a external box.