Sump Plumbing

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by kjlife, Jul 13, 2017.

1. kjlife

kjlifeValued MemberMember

So I recently bought a 135 gallon with 2 holes drilled in the back towards the top and split apart so not close enough for one over flow so I'm wondering 2 things
    1. Should I do 2 overflows and one have a straight pipe and one have a bent towards pipe or 1 overflow and use the other hole for a return
    2. What kind of pump should I buy for the sump portion
    Thanks in advance

2. matsungit

matsungitWell Known MemberMember

This video should help.

3. RoddawgNew MemberMember

HI Kjlife; I have had this dilemma the past few weeks whilst trying to devise the best overflow drilled tank method before drilling my tank.

Firstly my question was how I was gonna get solids off the bottom, as my observation was aside from vacuuming there wasn't really a way. And overflows are generally seeming more suited and designed for saltwater however.. extremely useful in freshwater. So I figured I was gonna have an overflow and a second hole dedicated to a siphon using an aqualifter to ensure no airlock and to ensure priming occurs in the event of a power out.

Please feel free to look at my sump ideas and what I have used and pm for other suggestions and ideas.

ALSO understanding of the external overflow box with internal weir options vs Internal overflow box a weir also the drain arrangement to the sump ie siphon or gravity ..then which method ie beananimal, turso as a newbie to sumps at first was a little daunted.. but the end result I was going with was H20 overflow and h20 stealth overflow box as this suited me in everyway and was extremely customisable.

Cheers

4. OP
    OP
    kjlife

kjlifeValued MemberMember

I have seen those h2o overflows and I think that would work perfectly with the way this tank has been drilled but 80$ for an overflow is a lot was looking for a cheaper method
    I'm just uncertain if I'd be better off with 2 overflows so I could do like one box as gravity feed and one box as siphon then I'd have a return coming over the back or just one siphon over flow with the return coming in through the other drilled hole

5. ounderfla69

ounderfla69Valued MemberMember

A picture of your tank would be helpful but you cam make an internal box across the back of the tank. .then build a external box.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice