Question Sump Plants

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what plants would be best for my sump? I'm just looking for some plants to use nitrates between water changes, the catch would be, I'm looking for plants that are next to 0 work. I dont mind trimming every so often but I'm looking for no CO2, very little light and really just water.( I could add some substrate if need be).

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think floaters are the way to go. Duckweed rarely fails to take off but if you want something decent then I'd maybe try frogbit. Frogbit will get nice long roots and it definitely grows fast (meaning fast absorption of nutrients) so long as the are decent lighting.

You could also try hornwort but that has proven to be an iffy plant for me, it either thrives are dies.

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Demeter said:
I think floaters are the way to go. Duckweed rarely fails to take off but if you want something decent then I'd maybe try frogbit. Frogbit will get nice long roots and it definitely grows fast (meaning fast absorption of nutrients) so long as the are decent lighting.

You could also try hornwort but that has proven to be an iffy plant for me, it either thrives are dies.
Will frogbit need substrate?

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No. They float. Frogbit, water letuce, duckweed, anatares(sp), hornworth, all fast growing plants (if they like your tank); btw i've had frogbit reject a tank before - so no matter what you try they might give a thumbs down. However, i think they all require some light so unless you have something mounted above your sump it might be a difficult task to find a plant that likes the dark.

Lebeeze said:
Will frogbit need substrate?

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jake37 said:
No. They float. Frogbit, water letuce, duckweed, anatares(sp), hornworth, all fast growing plants (if they like your tank); btw i've had frogbit reject a tank before - so no matter what you try they might give a thumbs down. However, i think they all require some light so unless you have something mounted above your sump it might be a difficult task to find a plant that likes the dark.
Does is have to be LED? I can buy one of those circle light that can stick under my tank stand above the sump.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Doesn't have to be LED - once a long time ago all aquarium lights were non-LED. Having said that there are cheap led and the advantage of led is no heat. Also it doesn't have to be very strong since the distance to the plant is short - however i would aim for full spectrum.