Sump or Canister?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Filter' started by Billy1205, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Billy1205New MemberMember

Hi all, I'm currently using canister filter, but most of the people recommend to use sump.
    Anyone can tell me which one should I use in term of efficiency for long term?

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

Sump, definitely. A canister filter will become a detritus trap very quickly, shooting up your nitrates.

In the sump, you also have increased water volume so there are less swings in your parameters, and a good place to set up a refugium to grow chaeto.

3. OP
    OP
    B

Billy1205New MemberMember

if I make a sump for my tank, the canister will become an extra, what should I do with the canister? Can I keep it running in my tank?
    Besides, what's the size of the sump I require for a 80 gallon reef tank?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  4. LiterallyHydro

For an 80 gallon reef you could get away with a 15 or 20 gallon sump.

And you could continue using the canister, as long as you maintain it regularly. In the case of saltwater tanks, that would be weekly or bi-weekly.

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Yeah canister filters can become a nitrate factory if you don't maintain it regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. LiterallyHydro

Why not clean the canister and use it on another tank? It would probably be put to better use on something like a freshwater planted tank.

7. OP
    OP
    B

both of my freshwater planted tank currently running a canister, unless get another tank which is impossible (limited space). Is it good to empty the media in the canister and just let it running to make flow in my tank? Or I use it as some sort of reactor? eg: carbon, Phosguard.

8. LiterallyHydro

I would personally jam one of the baskets to the max with carbon so the water is forced to go through it. It would get the job done for having carbon in the aquarium, although it may not be the most efficient.

Not a bad idea to keep it running for the added flow, it never hurts to have more flow in the tank if the fish aren't being blown around, the sand blasted all over the tank and the corals being forced into closing.

9. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks for your help hydro!

Sent from my SM-N910C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. LiterallyHydro

Any time. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice