Sump On My Nano Tank

Discussion in 'Sump' started by Esimm03, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Esimm03Well Known MemberMember

Hi,
    So I've been thinking about setting up a 15 litre sump on my 50L nano tank, I know there isn't much point but here are the reasons i want to do the project:

1- I could use it as an emergency hospital tank, just disconnected from the main display and it would be pre cycled

2- I am not running a skimmer on the display tank, the sump is my old tank with a built in skimmer in

3- I can stuff it full of marine pure blocks, and put cheato algae in to help with the stability of the tank (I currently have cheato running in a hob filter)

4- I like to over compliance things, and it would look cool

However, as it's such a small tank id prefer not to drill, I've looked at the hob overflow boxes and they are too expensive, is there a cheaper way if setting up a sump? Could I do something with my current hob to do an overflow?

My original plan was to out a pump in my hob pumping into the sump, and one in the sump pumping into the dt, by I now know this won't work well as one of the tanks may overflow in the future.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
    Ethan

2. Esimm03Well Known MemberMember

In theory could I pull a Syphon from my hob and pump the water back up from my sump? So if there is a power cut the hob will stop working, thus not letting water into the sump and not letting it go on the floor .

3. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Why not just build your own drain line out of PVC. Heck, there's ready made products that would fit the bill - the mame nano overflow... looks pretty, that's for sure!

4. Esimm03Well Known MemberMember

I like the mame nano overflow however..... I think £150 is a bit much (more than the tank) would it work if I drilled the hob and attached a bulkhead or something?

Or could I run a syphoned hose (like I'm syphoning for a WC) but just Syphon into the sump, and then use a pump to pump it back up?

Thanks,
    Ethan

5. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Haha, that was an example... (and a nice one at that!)

What I was getting at, which was my bad, didn't express it... is to DIY overflow out of PVC. Like this:

Or (scroll down a bit)

6. Esimm03Well Known MemberMember

I see now,
    Is it powered by a pump or a Syphon? I could probably build something similar with small bits of pipe I have around, I'm building a new lid this weekend as my tail spot jumped ages ago, and I don't want my new one jumping when he's out of Qt.

I'll try and build the thing this weekend, but will have to wait as the sump is currently my Qt.

Is there any benefit to having an overflow? I may just run it from my hob, as if there is a power cut the hob will empty, if it will get rid of surface stuff, the hob has a surface skimmer.

Ethan

7. Esimm03Well Known MemberMember

Right then... I did some digging around and constructed this beauty .

It would run on a Syphon that goes from my hob filter (can't fit the intake in as there is rocks in the hob at the moment. I'll then put the other end in the tank, (decided not to use the Qt so moved the fish over as I'll probably get more stuff) so ill drain it into the sump, then I'll use a small pump to draw the water back into the display, does this look good? There's a shut of valve too so I can isolate the sump in an emergency and when I do water changes ect...

My only issue is, won't one of the tanks fill up over time and eventually overflow?

Ethan

20180606_194001.jpg20180606_194131_001.jpg20180606_194102.jpg

8. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I guess by both. The inflow itself is powered by siphon, but the how system - since the water coming into the sump - is to replace water exiting the sump.... so its powered by a pump.

What you want is to have something that if the siphon stops for whatever reason, it still can restart once power resumes.

I'd say the benefit is that running an overflow is that you only need to ensure that the influx of water is rated to the size of the pump - aka, the pump doesn't drain the sump.

The issue I see with this:
    - if the power is out, I can see it still draining the tank of water through the HOB. Test it out ti ensure it doesn't happen.
    - with this design, your hoping to match the pump to the flow of water in the input/overflow rather than the other way around. If flow gets reduced in overflow, sump will empty and possibly overfill the tank... if pump flow gets reduced, which is probably most likely to occur with sediment buildup, then the sump will overflow and continue to overflow until thr HOB cant draw in more water through the tank.

9. Esimm03Well Known MemberMember

Ok, I've done some tweaking around and these are the modifications I've made:

I decided to put the return pump on some sponges to a.) Stop detritus getting in and clogging it up, and b) if the power goes out, the hob will drain and I'll loose my Syphon, but when the power goes back on only the top few centermeters of water will drain until the pump runs dry, (easier to show a pic). What would you suggest to keep the syphon during a power outage?

Luckaly for me one of my relatives is coming round on the weekend, they are a Plummer and joiner so will be able to help me with plumbing the sump, I may end up doing an overflow afterall, but I'd prefer not to.

Ethan

P.s, the water will likely go from the hob into the middle back compartment in the pics! 20180607_183832.jpg20180607_184212.jpg