Sump noob

charzar-g

Hey all
Getting really excited to go saltwater soon.
Can someone please some up what is in a sump??

Thankyou :;juan

lew2000

Try this link/ 3 parts to explain everything you want to know about a sump:

In Fishlore, type in sump in the search box - multiple threads on how people configure their sumps. There is also a lot of information on DIY for sumps. And of course sumps can be used for freshwater and saltwater aqauriums. Depending on whether you are having a fish only, fish only with live rock (FOWLR) or a reef tank, will dictate to some extent how you configure and what equipment you will use in a sump. When I set up a sump - I try to have a sump that is half the volume of the show tank. However, depending upon cost, space etc., this may not be feasible. I try to get the biggest tank I can put under the main tank/stand (up to 50% of the volume) so it has space in the tank for gear, and allows for a large water turnover of the main tank. If your tank isn't drilled and you would like to use a sump - you can get an overflow box. Hope this helps.

charzar-g

thanks again for the help lew I will check out this page in a bit, one question. What is the overflow box for?
'Tank' you

lew2000

An overflow box is used when you are going to use a sump or a refugium (depending upon setup) and your tank is not drilled or does not come with a built in overflow with a drain fitting. Now you can either drill a tank yourself, there are plenty of diy sites for drilling or you can have a glass shop drill it for you. Most large tanks, 70gal and up ,the bottom glass plate is usually tempered and is much more difficult to drill (however, most aqauriust will drill holes in what is to be the back of the tank). If a glass shop does your drilling - they as a rule will not cover the cost if the glass cracks when they drill it. An overflow box is used to take water from the tank into a box that hangs from the back of the tank (I attached a link that has a video clip) via a siphon setup of sometype and then has a drain at the bottom of the overflow box which can then be run down to the sump. Again some aqauriust have holes drilled and hard pipes setup (pvc) to create a minifold so that intake and output are hidden, and other benifits. There numerous ways to get water from the tank to the sump - and it comes down to cost and preference - (however, if the tank is already setup and populated - then an overflow box is the way to go so you don't have to break it down for drilling - obviously) depending on the person - some people swear by overflow boxes, some people don't like using them. As you are doing read up on everything you can about setting up a sw tank, because once you have setup, given the cost and the time - you have to live with what you have. Sorry to be so long in my answer.

charzar-g

thankyou lew, I have read all that and I also read the links in the previous reply, and don't appologise about long answers, I like long answers

Thankyou!
I still have a LOT more reading to do
Are sumps neccissary? What if i'm only having a handful of seahorses?

lew2000

Seahorses - I know there are some people who have kept seahorses on this site hopefully they will answer - and I have seen threads on fishlore and others about keeping seahorses - always think about doing it someday. Sumps aren't a necessity - if you post that question you'll get about every opinion out there - it comes down to preference, cost, space below the tank or putting it somewhere. I use sumps because I can place whatever equipment I want in the sump as well as additives, and an algae scrubber, though I use in-line heaters, and of course the uv is in-line, I use for Freshwater and SW. Though a number of reef keepers are using on back refugiums now for algae control.

charzar-g

I will try to add a sump, but i'm not adsactly smart, constructive OR made of money, so I'll do the best I can for the inhabitants
Thanks for all the help btw

Latest threads

Top Bottom