Sump Newbie

kyle collom
hey everyone I’m new on the page and new to Saltwater I am doing 29 gal fish only tank and am building a sump and I want to know what is the best way to get water to the sump without drilling? I know I need a pump to return the water to the tank but what’s the best way to get the water to flow into the sump with out drilling?
Thanks!

AquaticJ
NavyChief20 can help.

smee82
You need an overflowbox.

NavyChief20
Nart
You can build your own in tank overflow box or buy one. I think a company called CPR makes in tank overflow boxes without drilling.

kyle collom
Can someone point me in the direction of a thread about building your own?

NavyChief20
Can someone point me in the direction of a thread about building your own?
So the easiest is King of DIY on YouTube. Joey Mullen has tons of videos on overflows and sumps. Watch those and then you have a baseline and I can walk you through it. Not being rude I just have a few warships I'm dealing with right now.

kyle collom
So the easiest is King of DIY on YouTube. Joey Mullen has tons of videos on overflows and sumps. Watch those and then you have a baseline and I can walk you through it. Not being rude I just have a few warships I'm dealing with right now.

Thanks so much I didn’t realize he had a video on it it was very helpful!

NavyChief20
Thanks so much I didn’t realize he had a video on it it was very helpful!
Theres a couple styles but they all work well. Durso is quiet

Jesterrace
hey everyone I’m new on the page and new to Saltwater I am doing 29 gal fish only tank and am building a sump and I want to know what is the best way to get water to the sump without drilling? I know I need a pump to return the water to the tank but what’s the best way to get the water to flow into the sump with out drilling?
Thanks!

Honestly, just me but a sump on a 29 gallon is a needless degree of cost and complexity to your setup. Is there are particular reason you are set on a sump?

kyle collom
Honestly, just me but a sump on a 29 gallon is a needless degree of cost and complexity to your setup. Is there are particular reason you are set on a sump?

Yea that’s what I’ve heard but I want to do it for two reasons: I wanna start getting exerpience with sumps so when I do a bigger tank I have had some time to work with a sump and I want the tank to run very well and I think that a good sump will help with that. I do have one question can I put my protein skimmer in the sump or does it have to go in the tank?

NavyChief20
Yea that’s what I’ve heard but I want to do it for two reasons: I wanna start getting exerpience with sumps so when I do a bigger tank I have had some time to work with a sump and I want the tank to run very well and I think that a good sump will help with that. I do have one question can I put my protein skimmer in the sump or does it have to go in the tank?
You can put the protein skimmer in the sump. You can also plumb it to the sump so it is external. Its all a function of how big your foot print is.

Jesterrace

The sump's impact is limited in a tank that size, because people are generally going with smaller sumps (ie 10 gallon sump), which is often a lot of work and expense for very little real benefit. As someone who went without a sump on a 36 gallon bowfront to a 90 gallon with a 29 gallon sump within a year, one of the things I really wish I had done was go as cheap and simplistic as possible on my 36 gallon bowfront as I wasted a bunch of money on things I didn't need to that could've been used for the upgrade.

Keep in mind that none of the equipment in a 10 gallon sump will transfer to a significantly larger tank, so you will be rebuying the skimmer, return pump, etc. It really takes a 20 plus gallon tank with a good size skimmer, return pump, etc. to really get the increased water flow, processing, etc to truly get the benefit of a sump, and quite frankly a 20 gallon plus tank on a 29 gallon tank is just plain silly as there would be way too much waterflow for the tank.

As for the skimmer you could do HOB or In Sump. In sump skimmers are the most effective, but realistically increased water changes are best for a tank of that size.

NavyChief20
The sump's impact is limited in a tank that size, because people are generally going with smaller sumps (ie 10 gallon sump), which is often a lot of work and expense for very little real benefit. As someone who went without a sump on a 36 gallon bowfront to a 90 gallon with a 29 gallon sump within a year, one of the things I really wish I had done was go as cheap and simplistic as possible on my 36 gallon bowfront as I wasted a bunch of money on things I didn't need to that could've been used for the upgrade.

Keep in mind that none of the equipment in a 10 gallon sump will transfer to a significantly larger tank, so you will be rebuying the skimmer, return pump, etc. It really takes a 20 plus gallon tank with a good size skimmer, return pump, etc. to really get the increased water flow, processing, etc to truly get the benefit of a sump, and quite frankly a 20 gallon plus tank on a 29 gallon tank is just plain silly as there would be way too much waterflow for the tank.

As for the skimmer you could do HOB or In Sump. In sump skimmers are the most effective, but realistically increased water changes are best for a tank of that size.

Ive done sumps on 15-1500 gallon tanks and cost wise they are very inexpensive and extremely efficient so I'm not really sure what you did

kyle collom
Ive done sumps on 15-1500 gallon tanks and cost wise they are very inexpensive and extremely efficient so I'm not really sure what you did

Yea I’m building my own sump it’s only costing me like 30$

kyle collom

Thanks for the advice I don’t want to do an hob cause I want the pump hidden and I don’t wanna dish out the money for a canister filter that’s why I chose to go with a sump

NavyChief20
Yea I’m building my own sump it’s only costing me like 30$
nice, they don't cost much

Jesterrace
Thanks for the advice I don’t want to do an hob cause I want the pump hidden and I don’t wanna dish out the money for a canister filter that’s why I chose to go with a sump

I agree a canister would be the last choice. @Navy Chief you telling me you built a sump with an Overflow box, skimmer, sump tank for $30?

kyle collom
I agree a canister would be the last choice. @Navy Chief you telling me you built a sump with an Overflow box, skimmer, sump tank for $30?

I’m the one that is building it for $30 I already had the 10 gallon aquarium the overflow I’m building for $10 the pump I already had the glass I get for free because I work at Lowe’s and I can cut scrap The filter media isn’t too expensive the only thing I didn’t include that cost was the protein skimmer

NavyChief20
Yeah I've built several. I do freshwater so I don't need a protein skimmer. I use weirs on my overflows

Jesterrace
I’m the one that is building it for $30 I already had the 10 gallon aquarium the overflow I’m building for $10 the pump I already had the glass I get for free because I work at Lowe’s and I can cut scrap The filter media isn’t too expensive the only thing I didn’t include that cost was the protein skimmer

You are going to have a tough time getting a good protein skimmer to fit in a 10 gallon sump. They don't offer much room. There are some nano skimmers that might offer some modest skimming out there though. Hydor, Aquatic life and a few others make them.

Jesterrace
Yeah I've built several. I do freshwater so I don't need a protein skimmer. I use weirs on my overflows

You will have to forgive me, but I did find a bit of irony in a Navy Chief that only does freshwater.

NavyChief20
You will have to forgive me, but I did find a bit of irony in a Navy Chief that only does freshwater.
I use to do saltwater aquariums but my ex bleached my saltwater tank and sump when I was deployed.

Jesterrace
I use to do saltwater aquariums but my ex bleached my saltwater tank and sump when I was deployed.

Man that sucks. I am sorry.

NavyChief20
Man that sucks. I am sorry.
Happens dude. Got rid of that tank when I got rid of her. She took my AMG I got the kids and I upgraded big time in the lady department.

Jesterrace
Glad to hear you came out okay.

NavyChief20
Yeah now I have cichlid spawn problems. They keep spawning left n right.

So for your sump and overflow what kinda pump are you looking at? Theres lots of good ones out there but.....theres lots of good deals at home depot (pond pumps) and Amazon (pond pumps). A good rule of thumb for financial cleverness is avoid things called aquarium (insert equipment name). Its over priced 99% of the time.

Petco has $1 per gallon and the 10gal tanks are good for sumps up to 65 gallon, or you can get a sterilite tote UBER cheap at the dollar store or hardware store.

kyle collom
Yeah now I have cichlid spawn problems. They keep spawning left n right.

So for your sump and overflow what kinda pump are you looking at? Theres lots of good ones out there but.....theres lots of good deals at home depot (pond pumps) and Amazon (pond pumps). A good rule of thumb for financial cleverness is avoid things called aquarium (insert equipment name). Its over priced 99% of the time.

Petco has $1 per gallon and the 10gal tanks are good for sumps up to 65 gallon, or you can get a sterilite tote UBER cheap at the dollar store or hardware store.

Yep once you’ve been in the hobby a while (I’ve been reptiles for a while and freshwater) you learn the DIY side I got my 400gph pump for 10$ my 29gal for my tank from that sale! Why buy overpriced when you can build and save!

NavyChief20
Yep once you’ve been in the hobby a while (I’ve been reptiles for a while and freshwater) you learn the DIY side I got my 400gph pump for 10$ my 29gal for my tank from that sale! Why buy overpriced when you can build and save!
Nice dude yet killin it. I'm building a new sump canister system in the garage right now and it is the prototype for my 125 gallon plus tanks. My fiancee (mermaid) has approved of the build as long as I cook her grilled fajitas tonight and I am cabana boy for her beer needs lol

kyle collom
Nice dude yet killin it. I'm building a new sump canister system in the garage right now and it is the prototype for my 125 gallon plus tanks. My fiancee (mermaid) has approved of the build as long as I cook her grilled fajitas tonight and I am cabana boy for her beer needs lol

Hahaha what ever it takes to get the permission I know how that is! Luckily the wife has wanted a saltwater tank so I got permission this time pretty easily I have an “animal room” in the house so I can keep my projects and enclosures in there so she usually doesn’t mind lol

NavyChief20
Hahaha what ever it takes to get the permission I know how that is! Luckily the wife has wanted a saltwater tank so I got permission this time pretty easily I have an “animal room” in the house so I can keep my projects and enclosures in there so she usually doesn’t mind lol
I have 2500 gallons of tanks not including sumps. The Mermaid of the house gets a cut on all alterations and artistic input lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views