Sump Layout

BRDrew

I have aquired a set up for a saltwater reef system. Its a all-in-one 40 gallon cube adapted to be used with a standard 20 gallon as a sump + a 5-ish g ATO.

I already have the heater, return pump and skimmer. The thing is they would easily fit in about a quarter of the 20g. I want to put in a refugium but I will not be dealing with any kind of reactor right now.

The question is: what would be an optimal sump layout?

The salt markings in the glass would indicate the last owner only used about half of the total volume of the sump. Why would that be? Wouldnt it be better to use the entire volume of the 20g?

I understand that in the case of a blackout some water would fall to the sump but it seems highly unlikely that it would take up anything close to 10g.

I can provide a drawing if needed and pictures later.

Also, stock suggestions are welcome.

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you

SecretiveFish

What type of all in one tank is it? Does the tank have drilled overflows or are you going to need to get an external overflow box?

With all the sumps we have made, we always wish we would have done something different... I would suggest the first chamber where the water flows in from the display tank be deep enough to keep the filter socks mostly submerged. The next chamber should be set up for the depth the protein skimmer requires (unless you are planning on making a stand for the protein skimmer to sit on), and the chamber where the return pump is needs to be as bubble free as possible, i.e. don't have water splashing into that chamber.

You can take advantage of more of the 20g, but you should plan to make the chamber that has the protein skimmer stay at a constant depth otherwise the skimmer will not perform optimally and may overflow depending on the water level.

When the return pump is unplugged, you need to test to see how much water gets reverse siphoned into the sump. Depending on how low the return jet is in your tank, it can range for a few gallons to a lot of the tank!!!

BRDrew

SecretiveFish said:
What type of all in one tank is it? Does the tank have drilled overflows or are you going to need to get an external overflow box?

With all the sumps we have made, we always wish we would have done something different... I would suggest the first chamber where the water flows in from the display tank be deep enough to keep the filter socks mostly submerged. The next chamber should be set up for the depth the protein skimmer requires (unless you are planning on making a stand for the protein skimmer to sit on), and the chamber where the return pump is needs to be as bubble free as possible, i.e. don't have water splashing into that chamber.

You can take advantage of more of the 20g, but you should plan to make the chamber that has the protein skimmer stay at a constant depth otherwise the skimmer will not perform optimally and may overflow depending on the water level.

When the return pump is unplugged, you need to test to see how much water gets reverse siphoned into the sump. Depending on how low the return jet is in your tank, it can range for a few gallons to a lot of the tank!!!
The tank already has an overflow box built into it with holes drilled on the back. By my calculations the water level should rise by about 2-2.5 inches when I turn of the pump.

About the skimmer. It has a couple of suction cups in it so as long as the water level stays I should be able to fine tune it I suppose.

About the chambers. What size should they be? I would love a refugium but does it fit?

SecretiveFish

It is really up to you... The return chamber needs to be large enough to fit your return pump, but the smaller the chamber the more more freshwater top offs will be required.

There is probably room for a refugium, but I would suggest having that chamber after the protein skimmer area. The protein skimmer will remove a lot of the mirco fauna that you would want to culture in a refugium!

BRDrew

SecretiveFish said:
It is really up to you... The return chamber needs to be large enough to fit your return pump, but the smaller the chamber the more more freshwater top offs will be required.

There is probably room for a refugium, but I would suggest having that chamber after the protein skimmer area. The protein skimmer will remove a lot of the mirco fauna that you would want to culture in a refugium!
Thank you for the tips. I'm going do do some planning and build it as soon as I can. When its done Ill let fish lore know.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom