Question sump idea for 20G octagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

rizo

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Been wanting and researching a salt water tank lately. Have a well established 15 gallon fresh water.

Been going back and forth whether to use a 20 gallon octagon acrylic tank and acrylic stand a friend gave me or sell and get a more standard rectangular tank. The stand has a small back opening, 8.75" wide. Would be hard to get through and fit a sump in there... then a light turned on! Why not use the acrylic stand and build the sump into it!

The stand itself is 29.5". Tank is 16" tall. Drew and attached the diagram. Outlined the tank and stand with green as i used my camera phone and was a bit hard to see. Red outline is where I would attach an acrylic panel to raise the height, guessing 16" from the base so it'll be the same height as the tank and doubling the gallon capacity -- of course won't be filling the sump to the top. Yellow outline is the bubble trap, think i messed up on this one and have to double check once I get some rest. I'll cut some holes in what was the front for the hoses. Also add a black acrylic door to what will be the front now!

Anyone done this before? Good or bad idea? Okay time to go to bed

Attachments

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Rizo and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm sure you'll get some great tips from some of our members. I hope you enjoy the site and that you can share more photos along the way.

Have fun I'll be looking forward to updates from you.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.8%

Top Bottom