Sump help are bubble traps necessary

Netanelsfish
Hi I want to build a sump for my freshwater tank as I already have a small tank to use as the sump and I was wondering if a bubble trap is necessary I am trying to do this as cheap as possible. Also can someone please tell me what those overflow things are why can't I just use a inlet tube.

I figured u saltwater guys would be the ones to come to. I am building a sump for my freshwater tank and was wondering if bubble traps are really needed?

MrMuggles
I built a freshwater sump out of a 29G and there was no need, it's long enough with enough filtration steps that no bubbles can survive. I think depends on the sump design and your desire to reduce bubbles in the display tank

Rcslade124
No micro bubble don't effect either fresh or salt it's just not as pristine looking. Pump a sponge around return intake problem solved.

Azedenkae
There were a lot of previous articles that kept on saying bubbles are harmful for corals and all that, but newer experiments allegedly found there was absolutely no issue.

Take it all with a grain of salt though. None I have read have done proper experimentation that proved or at least provided strong evidence either way.

Rcslade124
There were a lot of previous articles that kept on saying bubbles are harmful for corals and all that, but newer experiments allegedly found there was absolutely no issue.

Take it all with a grain of salt though. None I have read have done proper experimentation that proved or at least provided strong evidence either way.
Yes they say bubbles can harm corals if they sit on them. It will dry them out. But people bubble wash Thier rocks supposed to get it cleaner. But the most part you have 7k in corals you want a pretty tank nothing floating around unless your feeding

SparkyJones
if the sump you are building is for a freshwater tank, no, the bubble trap isn't necessary. Micro bubbles being a hassle is mostly a saltwater thing and bad for certain salt species.
you might get microbubbles with freshwater on start up with new water and new cycle, but it's not like what people get with saltwater.

the baffles are what's most necessary, how many baffle compartments, and what components you want in there, that's the critical part or you'll find yourself wanting to keep changing the sumps layout to get more things in there.
I'd be interested in seeing your build!

Rcslade124
Ignore the gree water. But this is my old saltwater sump I'm converting into freshwater. My plan is this:
On top right you cannot see is drain compartment. I'm putting fluidized needs in there. The overflow should keep them tumbling.
Next is filter socks. I am removing the sock holder and lining 3 layers of foam different density. Under thoose will be my media.
Next is skimmer chamber. I might try the skimmer see if it pulls anything out
Next is the refugium. I'm going to put plant substrate and heavily planting it and putting guppies in there. Along with heaters Then a piece of foam in next bubble trap to trap anything that might flow to return pump.

This will be for a sa cichlid tank. We will see outcome

Attachments

• IMG_20220428_143514.jpg
    IMG_20220428_143514.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 13
SparkyJones
See I like the idea of the planted refugium down there and dual using the heater space. theres always another idea on what you can put in there if you think on it long enough! I was thinking to hold Pond matrix maybe some lava rock, in my wet dry in the portion that baffles to the return but not where the bioballs are, maybe get some denitrification going also... I like the wet/dry because I have it and it's never failed me but I really like the versatility of a sump, and media being submerged and volume of media it can hold compared to the low water level of the Wet/dry. can always put a sock over the return pump inlet to keep debris out of the pump.

NerdAlert
Sorry you've waited months for a reply on this! I believe (please verify) that a bubble trap is mainly required in marine sump builds as the skimmer creates a lot of microbubbles that once introduced to the display tank are A) unsightly and B) may harm the fish? The overflow is basically a way around drilling holes in your tank if you are unable/choose not to do that. Hope this helps! If you've already built your sump, it would be great to see pictures, I'm working on a freshwater sump build now too!

Netanelsfish
Sorry you've waited months for a reply on this! I believe (please verify) that a bubble trap is mainly required in marine sump builds as the skimmer creates a lot of microbubbles that once introduced to the display tank are A) unsightly and B) may harm the fish? The overflow is basically a way around drilling holes in your tank if you are unable/choose not to do that. Hope this helps! If you've already built your sump, it would be great to see pictures, I'm working on a freshwater sump build now too!
Sorry I haven't logged in in ages I never ended up doing it because of cost problems

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
carloz209
Replies
Views
ryanr
  • Question
Replies
Views
jtjgg