Sump For 29?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Nicholas1234, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Nicholas1234

Nicholas1234Well Known MemberMember

I'm thinking of eventually building a Sump for my 29g and wanted to get peoples advise here on Fishlore.I'm thinking about doing this so if I upgrade to a much larger tank all I'll ha ve to buy is a larger pump and I could put my Heater in the sump.My Questions are would this work, how would I go about doing it,what size tank would I need and what size Pump?

2. OP
    OP
    Nicholas1234

@Drummindot you've got a Sump tank on you're 260g do you think this would work?

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

A sump would be a lot of work for 29 gal, but it's definitely doable.

If you're planning on using it in the future for a bigger tank, I'd go with a 20 gal or 29 gal sump at a minimum.

The pump size needed will depend on the height of the pump to the height of the display tank (often referred to as the head height); you can find ratings for submersible pumps for their GPH at certain heights. An adequate filtration rate would be around 5x - but you can get away with a little less or a little to a lot more.

4. OP
    OP
    Nicholas1234

Thanks @TexasDomer any chance you could give me an idea on how to build it?

Edit: I'd like to do a hang on back overflow since I don't want to go to the trouble of drilling my tank.

5. TexasDomer

I was planning one myself, and have a few sketches from that around somewhere. It really comes down to personal preference though. For a planted tank, I would avoid the wet/dry filters at least. I would google sump setups and get an idea of what you want. I was going to make a media chamber under the intake, a chamber for fast growing, nitrate using plants, and the last chamber for the return.

6. OP
    OP
    Nicholas1234

Just to clarify what's wrong with a wet\dry filter when you have a planted tank?

7. TexasDomer

It encourages CO2 gas off; even if you're not injecting CO2, you don't want that much agitation to gas off what CO2 you have.

8. OP
    OP
    Nicholas1234

Thanks for the information I think I might give my plants to a friend when I do this anyway to increase swimming room for my fish. Will that work?

9. TexasDomer

It would, but a planted tank is usually better than a non-planted tank. The plants shouldn't be taking up that much room.

10. OP
    OP
    Nicholas1234

My problem is I can't seem to aquascape properly anyway.

11. TexasDomer

Put the plants around the edges of the tank.

12. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

I will make my usual plug for my sump setup... EShopps 1100 overflow box in a Herbie configuration to avoid spills and keep drain silent. I have only Poret foam in my 29 gallon sump, no baffles. I keep return slow for a few reasons (UV level 2 sterlization and optimal HMF mattenfilter flow rate), at about 180-200 gph for 60 total water volume (so 3x turn over). Additional mechanical filtration in display tank using powerhead and DIY filter with filter floss. Additional in tank circulation via Koralia Nano, I don't always have this running though. My main display is 55 heavily planted tank. I think my sump is overkill, but nice to have additional 20 gallons of water volume and place to mix Equilibrium before adding to tank.

I recommend you research Herbie style overflows when designing your sump.

13. OP
    OP
    Nicholas1234

Thanks I'll do that.

14. OP
    OP
    Nicholas1234

@bigdreams the problem with a herbie style overflow is from what I can tell I'd need to drill my tank and I don't wan't to do that.orcan I do a Herbie stle with a hang on back overflow?

15. bigdreams

Yes you can!!! Check out the eShopps 1100 overflow box (hang on back). That's what I use!! :)

Just make sure to buy a Spears Gate valve to regulate flow. I used tubing instead of PVC. My sump build thread I shared has all the details

16. bigdreams

17. OP
    OP
    Nicholas1234

would the eshopps pf-1000 be too much flow for a 29 or would it be what I'd need?

18. bigdreams

Depends how much flow are you looking for. I am running the overflow at 180gph , so that would be 6x turn over for you at 29 gallons, which is good. The HOB comes with two u-tubes. I only use one because my flow is low (the two tubes let you get upto 1000gph). The only draw back is that the inner box is pretty big. I think still manageable on a 29 gallon tank, but it does take up some real estate and casts a shadow.

19. OP
    OP
    Nicholas1234

Thanks I'll look into it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice