Sump filtration setup

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by benpoole28, Jun 27, 2016.

1. b

benpoole28 New Member Member

I've spent the last 7 years keeping saltwater fish, but have decided to try freshwater instead. My tank is a 200g reef tank with a diy 40b sump. I took out all the baffles in the sump to set it up for fw filtering but I'm not sure what all I need in the sump, or how many chambers to put in it. I can make up to 5 media chambers with 100% flow thru in the sump.
    -what should I use for bio, and how much? Will be fully submerged. I will be keeping 3 large pacu's from 15" -20" and 2 large cichlids 12". I was thinking 10lbs of ceramic rings should do it, but I really have no idea.
    -should I run airstones in sump? If so, should I run them in the bio media chamber or a separate dedicated chamber?

I know my first stage will be 2 7" filter socks. I run carbon in a fluidized reactor so no need for it in the sump. What other things should I consider for filtration to make the best use of extra space I have? I'm know lots about saltwater, but nothing about fresh so any knowledge is appreciated.

2. P

Pente85Camino Valued Member Member

I am in the process on setting up a FW sump for my tank. I would look into K1 bio media because of the waste from those large fish. Wholesale Koi Farm on Amazon is where I got mine, around $40 for a cubic foot (~28 liters). More than you need, but smaller quantities cost more and extra is never bad to have. I personally don't want ceramic or any hard scratching media rolling around hitting glass holding a large amount of water! Lol. Look into Joey's info on K1 here  

3. OP
    OP
    b

benpoole28 New Member Member

Great video! I think I'm going to go with this stuff. It will be easier making one big fluidized chamber rather than several over/under chambers like I intended for the ceramic. I also like the idea of not having to clean the media every so often. Ceramic rings and even matrix gets nasty after a while.

4. P

Pente85Camino Valued Member Member

My feelings exactly!

Welcome to Fishlore.com!!

5. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

OMGosh! His fish room is exactly what I've dreamed of for years. I've always wanted a huge tank in the wall with a maintenance room behind it. So cool!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice