Sump filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by thatreefguy22, Aug 2, 2014.

1. t

thatreefguy22 Valued Member Member

I'm piecing together my DIY 10 gallon sump...
    My first baffle is 7 1/2" High. Is it okay to have some filter media(pads) submerged?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. TheCoolFish

TheCoolFish Valued Member Member

Oh yah I have a 20 gallon and my main filter compartment is pond filter pad and they are submerged

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    t

So, it'll still work efficiently by removing large wastes even though they are some-what submerged?
    Hmmm...alrighty then :) I guess I can get cracking on my baffle installment tonight...(while I can...DUNDUNDUNNNN)

4. TheCoolFish

Well I have a drip pre stage with bio and mechanical media. Than it goes to bio balls than mechanical stage (pond pads) than over flows onto the chemical stage

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. TheCoolFish

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407030036.765020.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407030089.405157.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407030114.142209.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407030157.552096.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407030258.980588.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    t

I'll show once I silicone my baffles in place, once I figure how I'm going to do the baffles! Lol

7. OP
    OP
    t

Here are a few pictures on how far I've gotten within the past 24 hours. Not much, but I'm getting there. It's still my 10 gallon DIY freshwater sump.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407192719.876802.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407192806.994260.jpg

8. TheCoolFish

Better than mine ;)

9. OP
    OP
    t

Lol I feel like the silicone is a bit too messy on mine...maybe it's just me lol. I'm getting ready to place another baffle. I'm going for the return chamber in the middle of the tank.

10. TheCoolFish

Why? Two entry hoses?

11. OP
    OP
    t

Nope, im going to have 2 pumps. The first pump is the return to my main tank. The second pump, not so powerful, will have a tee..one going back to the filter media chamber, one feeding my fuge. The fuge line will have a ball valve for controlled flow.

12. OP
    OP
    t

Third baffle is in place, enough silicone to hold it there until later when I can come back home to finish. Let it cure for 2 more days. And while that is curing, I'll be plumbing my pumps. And then, water test the sump to see if I get any leaks between the baffles, if all goes well...get the filter media chamber ready for its media and fill er' up.

And then, me and the girlfriend will be setting the substrates. I hope to get large slate rocks/driftwood.

I'll take more photos on my plumbing. It's crazy how I was scared to do a DIY sump, and scared about doing hard PVC plumbing..but I think I'm getting somewhere haha it opened new doors for this hobby!

13. TheCoolFish

PVC is hard to use I would suggest using 3/4 soft aquarium tubing for the return and entrance. I also see that you are not using an over flow box that's cool I think that's a faster flow if you do use PVC than be careful on the glue you use.

14. OP
    OP
    t

I think I have the PVC thing down lol it's a lot easier, actually. Cut the right lengths and use the right connecting pieces...you're good to go, but, the down side....I would guess taking the PVC down during a move...-_-

15. TheCoolFish

What media are you going to put in the sump? I have one 50 micron ad in the mail right now with some pond filter pads and bio balls and some rocks I bought for the chemical stage

It's good to have a "tight" filter pad to filter out algae non like me ;) and now I have a "green water problem"

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  16. OP
    OP
    t

I have really tight pads, they're thin, though. I'll also be using a 180 micron bag of carbon, a blue filter sponge block which I will cut up to use as bio media, and finally...a refuge...I won't have the fuge running until I get the tank established and once I get the money to.

Most of the mechanical/bio media will be in chamber 1 of my sump.

17. TheCoolFish

I would use one pad of 100 or 50 but what ever fits your needs :) also a diatom filter is a great investment it "polishes" the water but you can only run for 8 hours a week so it's good to clear "white water" and "green water" and murky water for about $150 but I under stand you I too don't have that much money so you need one but it is a GREAT addition :) of course if you have bad water so it just depends on how the water is.

For me I have had an algae bloom for over a month and I've always had the problem of white water so I will get one as soon as I get the money

18. OP
    OP
    t

Idk..when and before I was starting my 10 gallon saltwater/nano reef...people we're telling me how hard it'd be to not have big algae blooms...I had very small to nothing..

Going back to fresh is a new thing to me, but same deal. Keep up on water quality/changes/filter checks weekly.
    What type of media you run doesn't do all of the work, it's there to assist you..or else it's water changes every day! Haha

19. OP
    OP
    t

Here is my "not official" plumbing for the pumps, some my inlet/drain in the photo, as well.

I say "not official" because, it's just not glued together..yet.

And, an interesting thing I figured out for my return line....is, set the line in a way it goes up to the main tank in a diagonal direction, instead of straight up. I figured that it won't put as much pressure on the water traveling up the pipe. Correct me if I'm wrong. Lol idk if anyone has ever tried this, I'm just experimenting. :)

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407289055.672057.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407289102.019220.jpg

20. TheCoolFish

Hmmm... Your doing a spray system? I'm thinking about redoing my sump filter because I did it wrong when I made it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice