Sump emergency

Discussion in 'Sump' started by David C, Mar 29, 2010.

1. D

David C Well Known Member Member

I came home today to find that the bottom seam on my sump started leaking. There's a nice puddle on the floor and the bottom portion of my stand is soaked. I've verified that the water can only be coming from the seam and not from a leaky pipe. My problem is, in order to get the sump into the stand, I had to lower it through the top of the tank and now I have a little thing called the tank itself in the way. If someone has an alternative to tearing down my entire tank to replace the sump, PLEASE chime in. Any ideas would be welcome. Especially since I'm supposed to be out of town for Easter and I won't have the time to do a total tank teardown for almost two weeks and no skimmer or fuge for that long.... probably not the best.

Dave

2. OP
    OP
    D

I've decided I'm going to build legs out of 2x4's and brace the tank so I can knock out the center brace and remove the sump through the front of the stand. I saw a picture of a guy doing it so I hope I don't mess it up and have 1000lbs of tank come crashing down. Pretty sure it would kill me so at least I won't have to clean up the mess :)

Dave

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

That's awful Dave! I think your idea with the 2x4's would be the best thing to do, although I will say I have never had to do anything like this! What a pain in the rear! If the sump on my 50 gal ever fails, I'll be in the same boat... hubby had to knock out and replace that brace to get it in there before we filled the tank.

Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes!

4. l

lanlesnee Well Known Member Member

Can you drain the sump and repair it where it's at? That would put you around 24 hours without a sump though.

Or you could run another sump placed next to the tank and drain the leaking sump while you repair it. I still would personally do the repairs with the sump in place and drained.

5. OP
    OP
    D

I have my sump off right now because the leak is far too bad. On the bright side, the petshop can accept back my leaky tank and give me a replacement so I'm going to have a spare 20g long (woohoo). Repairing it where it's at is impossible, nowhere near enough room to fix it in my small stand.

Hoping the 2x4's hold up though, I'll drain the tank about half way before I start to lessen the weight as much as possible. Hoping for the best.

Dave

6. OP
    OP
    D

The new sump is in. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the process. I'm exhausted and just not feeling it all.

Dave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice