Sump and the HOB overflow?

Tjthunder

Hello All,

So I've built a sump out of my 10 gallon tank for my 20 gallon long shell dweller tank. I have a couple of questions.
1. At this time I have three HOB filters on the tank. 2 Aquaclear 2o's and 1 Aqueon HOB. I plan on keeping the filters on while I get the sump up and running so that my tank doesn't recycle. OR would it be possible to tank all the media out of my filters and just pop them in the sump without the tank going through a recycle? Obviously I'd be adding quite a bit more media to the sump.

2. When looking through HOB Overflows what are the best suggestions as this tank is up and running and drilling the tank and installing a Weir isn't an option at this time.

3. How many GPH should my return pump be? I want at least 300GPH of turn over. Seeing as this has kept my tank sparkling clean and with VERY little Nitrates. I am thinking I might be adding an algae scrubber to the sump for extra NitrAte filtration.

MrBryan723

1. Filter media will skip cycle.
2 no idea sorry
3. You can probably stick with pretty close to what you want your flow rate to be since sumps have very little water resistance, the lower your flow rate through filters the more gph you will need to push to keep 300 up, so that could change as things mature.

Tjthunder

So just moving my filter media to the sump plus additional filter media will allow me to skip the cycle?

MrBryan723

Totally. Unless you manage to kill the bacteria in it or add more stock too quickly. It will need close to the same water flow moving through it that it has now to do it's job tho, but doubtful that'll be an issue.

Tjthunder

No More stock I have six Neolamprologus Similis and I'm trying to start a breeding colony. I don't want to fill my media section completely because I'd like to use the sump for keeping some of the extra fish. Until they are grown enough to sell.

MrBryan723

Just make sure the water flows through the media instead of over the top, otherwise it's just a glorified sulfer factory

Tjthunder

532abdbf8352f3c9ecb872e04a8cf322.jpg

So water flows into the first chamber then under the first baffle. (Where the media will go. In the second chamber) then over the second baffled and under the Third to the last chamber where the pump will be.
a499b6650eb7e851f8d42431f068d7be.jpg
292123e9a2a38c3318a5e99031c9a748.jpg

It ain't pretty but I'll work haha

ounderfla69

The problem I see is you baffle maybe to high, you need to consider the amount of extra water that will flow in the sump if power goes off.

Tjthunder

Gotcha. From a 20 gallon though I don't think too much will over flow though. Or am I mistaken?

Actually I don't feel like there will be a problem seeing as the first baffle is raised up so the water flows under.

ounderfla69

Sorry I thought it was a 75 gallon you should be alright.

Tjthunder

Biggest question is when I install it will I go through a recycle? I'd really like to avoid it. Here's what's on the tank now.
649d9d434487127e0101857df05a13ae.jpg

The first aquaclear is a sponge and a bag of ceramic media that came with it plus a bag of matrix.

The aqueon has a bag of purigen in it. Plus it's "bio" casings.

The last aquaclear has two bags of ceramic media that came with it in one and a smaller bag of fluval.

All I'd like to do is keep this media and add some to the sump. As I'm hoping to breed my Similis shelldwellers and I'd also like to use that center area of the sump as a refuge for any shellys that may have aggression towards them.
I'd also be adding and making an algae scrapper for the sump to keep my nitrates down since I don't want to plant this tank.

Here's a picture of the tank just for fun!

3cfd9ddb14a55e6e44077a467c67b56a.jpg
296a1ac4b8b9e2d15d9563bb671ed8e9.jpg

Deaddawg

That is an awesome tank. Can you tell me where you got the similis?

Tjthunder

My local fish stores in Atlanta have them. From to time. One has them more often that not. I know someone looking to possibly unload some fry that have grown into juveniles.

TwoHedWlf

If you click like on a fish does that make it a Simile?
I'll show myself out.

Deaddawg

I live 30 miles north of Philly. Will they ship and how much?

Can you give me the name of the store?

Tjthunder

Can you give me the name of the store?

It's not at a store. It's some one I know. Not sure the shop will ship.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kain
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views