Sump and live food for Seahorses

convict15
I am going to be starting a 10 gallon sea horse tank with a 10 gallon refugium/sump. Being new to sumps I don't know what to.use for the return pump. I have a fountain/small pond pump that I could use. But I'm thinking that the reason for me to get a refugium is for copepods and amphipods to breed in for live food for the sea horses. I'm thinking that the pump may chop up or kill the copepods when taking them back to the display tank. Is this true or are they small enough to just ride through it. If not what would be the best way to transport them back to the display tank?

I'm going to be getting a 10 gallon seahorse tank soon and I know they need constant live food. So I will be making a 10 gallon refugium/sump underneath. I want to know what would be the best thing to breed in the refugium as a food source for dwarf seahorses. Thx

ryanr
'pods will travel back through the return pump no trouble (just remove any sponge filters that might protect the inlet/impeller - e.g. Eheim pumps have these)

As for what pump, I aI'm for about 5-10x (DT) flow through the sump

EDIT: I have merged the two threads as they are primarily the same topic.

convict15
Can the seahorses live off of the refugium or will I still have to hatch brine shrimp for them

ryanr
Having never bred seahorses, I don't know the exact answer.

BBS would be beneficial from all my readings about breeding them though.

convict15
What kind of filtration would I need on this size tank. If I go without the sump/refugium what filtration should be used then?

ryanr
HI convict, as I have no experience with seahorses, I have to bail-out of the discussion, however the following link may help you:

Aquarist
Good morning,

Some more links for you that you might find interesting and helpful. I'm not certain if there are different requirements for regular Seahorses and Dwarf Seahorses.

Seahorse Organisation. Keeping and Breeding Seahorses in the home aquarium.

Best of luck!

Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom