Sumo Loaches

Discussion in 'Loaches' started by soltarianknight, Dec 20, 2012.

1. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

So. I Done goofed. Asked for kuhlis, got sumo loaches. I didn't even know they HAD sumo loaches. The down side, my bottom of the tank is now stocked with 2 fish that tend to hate each other. The bright side, my tank is literally perfectly set up for 2 of these guys. 2 different pieces of drift wood, large river rocks all over the bottom create tons of hiding places and crevices. When they are young they look like a kuhli morph imo. I didn't check them over real well at the store though so it is my fault. I figured i would post about them, let other members know what they are.

Apparently they are pretty new and not too much is known yet, im working on sexing. Im pretty sure my larger one is a female based of the girth.   Loach Online's link for them.

[​IMG]
    also featured are my new d.roseus

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I have never heard of them. They look very interesting though.

Are you concerned that they will fight each other? Or your other inhabitants?

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

So they ended up having the rose's, nice! Very pretty.

As far as the loaches, I'm very sad, I don't want to imagine any cories getting their behinds handed to them.

4. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

XP. It says they are cool with other fish, just not each other. They may have scraps with each other but there is enough space and territory for both.

5. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

What you need to do is make a circular ring in the center of your tank. That's where they can determine who the better sumo is.

6. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Soooo tempting. Added another piece of decor for them. They already have spots picked it seems. Not a very shy loach i might add, they don't seem to mind coming out. Also, rose danios were a fabulous idea, they stay at the top top of the tank and show off their colors.

7. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

[​IMG]

Already found it's territory with the new ornament i put in. She guards the whole thing from the other one and sits on top of it. The other one has hallowed out space under the drift wood.

8. Matt B

Good deal, I'm glad they're filling the top void how many are you going to end up getting?

Those loaches are sharp looking, so, right now you have the loaches, danios, and gold barbs in there?

9. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

They are sharp, and very pretty little characters. Im thinking maybe 7-8 of the danios for their small bio-load. I have a male and female right now, the male has much brighter colors and loooong whiskers, never seen whiskers this long on a danio XP, guess roses are different.

Right now we have the Barbs, Danios, Loachs, Swords and pleco in there. Im getting a vid of the entire tank up on the Stocking thread soon here. It looks real nice.

10. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Are the roses as aggressive as the zebras?

11. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967 Valued Member Member

Are rose danios also called pearl danios?I have a pearl danio (at least thats what the LFS girl said it was)that looks very like your rose. Hes seems to swim slower than the Zebras.

12. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

1st, Zebras are by no means aggressive at all. They only nip when they arn't happy. I have had a school of 12 in my 29 and never saw any issues. 2nd, im sure roses are just as inclined to nip as zebras, however, they are a much calmer species.
    Pearls:Danio albolineatus and Roses: Danio Roseus are closely related obviously, but are 2 different species in the end. The main difference is the green/orange cross on the roses VS the pale blue of the pearls. Roses are also a bit more rare.

13. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, I would not consider their boisterous behavior to be aggressive. Aggressiveness is often a product of circumstances. Too, nipping is not necessarily synonymous with aggressiveness.

14. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Ah, Jaysee, and what might you think of the loaches? Not many people here keep loaches outside the regular kuhli/yoyo/dojo mix. Me, you, rogue being a few exceptions.

EDIT: Finally saw some aggression in the loaches just now. The larger one went from its rock stack to the drift wood and was promptly chased out by the smaller one. Nothing serious, definitely a territorial fish.

EDIT EDIT: :p, lol so the little one went up on the rock stack in retaliation XD. They are little brats.

15. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My good fish store has had them for a while. I look at them each time, but I just don't have a tank I want to put one in. Now a horse face loach - that's another story.... Should have jumped on that when I had the chance.

16. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

My LFS has TONS of Horse faces, literal TONS. We went through 30 of them just to get my 2 sumos. I thought they were too big/aggressive for my tank. They also have long noses but those are just mean fish.

17. Eienna

The phrase I should have used is insanely active, not aggressive. So slightly calmer? I may have to get me some of those :)

18. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

So. One of them is missing, been missing for a few days now. Sucks. But the other has dominated the rock orniment. Always on top of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Matt B

Those are some good pictures! He looks very proud!
    Hope your other is still kicking somewhere in there.

20. Eienna

He's a funny-looking feller, haha. Does he have a name?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice