Summer Weather Is Heating Up My Fish Tanks

1. DirtyEw0k

DirtyEw0k Valued Member Member

So i'm failry new to fish. this is my first summer with fish tanks ans my 10 gallon betta tank went from 80 to 85. My 36 gallon that only has harlequin rasboras and 2 nerite snails (eventually it'll be a community) went from 77 to 80. sometimes it goes to 81. i'm worried about my fish not liking the heat. I don't know how to keep it from going up. i'm guessing its not drastic because its caused by the outside weather but it still concerns me. i put my air conditioner into the living room where both my tanks are to try and help cool it off but its not doing much. is there anything i can do to cool them down? I was thinking about buying a bubbler to create more oxygen for them. Is this necessary or will they be okay?

2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

It doesn't sound too terrible, though I would do what you did and put the A/C next to the tanks.

Another good thing is to turn off the lights. That might be enough to drop the temp a few degrees.

3. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Ice packs.

4. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure about a bubbler in the betta tank because they don't like much flow/movement, but if you have it on very low, it may help. It's not going to help with the rising temp, but it'll help oxygenate the tank for sure.

Start freezing a few water bottles or even get an ice cube tray and fill it up with treated water. Whenever your tank starts to rise, just drop a frozen water bottle, treated ice cubes, or even a ziplock bag of ice to cool the tank down. Water temperature DROPS faster than it does rise, so it'll drop the temp quickly. Be aware.

5. OP
    OP
    DirtyEw0k

their lights have been off for most of the afternoon. Tomorrow is supposed to get up into the 90's so it might be warmer in there. it usauly doesn't get that hot where i live.

when you say ice packs to you mean in the tank? i do have those plastic ice cubes that you freeze like ice packs. could i float those?

6. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would invest in a heater that monitors the temp of the tank, and will turn on and off when needed. I have massive temp swings where I am (-10 in the winter to 100 in the summer) so these are a must for me. I don't know where to get them since all of mine are at least 5 years old, but I think Aqueon makes some.

7. OP
    OP
    DirtyEw0k

i have a gang valve so i can control the flow. i have it on as low as it'll go along with this sponge filter. i could turn it up a bit but he does get stressed with lots of current.

i was more thinking of getting one for the rasboras. they have an hob filter right now. the other night they were actin weird swimming at the top of the water but they are fine. no one is sick

8. BReefer97

It depends on the type of plastic it's made with. I would only use it if it's BPA free. Your best option is a ziplock bag of ice cubes. Works great.

Note: I realize it would be stupid for those plastic ice cubes to NOT be BPA free, so they should be fine to use. Just might tick your betta off haha

9. OP
    OP
    DirtyEw0k

I have a fluval that i can adjust the temp for already in my 36. a hydor in my betta tank thats adjustable too

10. BReefer97

I have that issue too. Even if it is adjustable and the heater cuts off at a certain temp, it doesn't matter much when it's over 90 degrees in your house hahah kind of acts like an oven.

11. goplecos

The ones I am talking about have a built in thermometer and will turn off when the temp gets too high.

12. goplecos

Mine work great.

13. Bettatude

Bettatude Well Known Member Member

Before removing the tank lids, I would lower the water level in the tanks so no fish will jump out. I don't know about the other fish being jumpers but Bettas definitely jump and they can jump high. You may have to remove the snails to a container with a lid, make sure they have air.

I would not put ice or ice packs directly into the tank.

14. BReefer97

He has one. It's just the fact that when the temperature in your house exceeds that of your cut off, the heat in the room will act like it's own heater. I could have my heater off all day and my tank could still reach 90 degrees effortlessly.

15. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Hi, I would get the bubbler going as higher temp water needs more oxygen for the fish. They may not die but they will probably be stressed which can lower their resistance and make them susceptible to disease!

16. OP
    OP
    DirtyEw0k

my fluval does. it has a temperature gauge right on it. i still keep a regular therometer in case it goes faulty

17. goplecos

Oh, well in that case I would add an airstone because it won't hurt the fish if they are in hotter water for a few hours but warmer water has less air.