Summer Time

offminded
Summer is right around the corner...what are some tips that you have used to keep your aquarium at a stable temp during the hot summer months?

Shawnie
For my tanks, which ARE NOT sw, I periodically throw ice cubes in my big one..the oscars love it..and in the others, I change water if needed to lower the temps slowly ...bring on summer!!!!!! snow be gone!

Oil_Fan
Davbrown...where do you live? And I'm kinda curious myself. I live near Atlanta and have already dealt with temp drops because of it (lost 3 fish in 2 days because of it). Now I'm wondering what kind of temp increases I'll be facing. I'm hoping my A/C will be enough.

agsansoo
It's been hot down here in SoCal this weekend. Keeping the tank cool is always a challenge without a chiller. So I use fans, A/C and frozen water bottles in the sump (return section).

ninilie
I think it was 95 in Santee today ugh. We just used fans and all seems fine. But there will be hotter days during the summer. I guess I could throw in a frozen water bottle on my way to work and hope that helps most of the day.

agsansoo
So long as someone is home, the tank does OK. It's when we are all busy doing things away from the house, is when I worry. Today I ran the A/C most of the day. There goes the electric bill. LOL

offminded
I live up in norcal and we got hit with low 90s today...or at least felt like low 90s...its only going to get hotter too! I like the idea of the frozen water bottles in the sump. do you turn your tank heater off then?

agsansoo
I leave the heater on (plugged in). It has a regulator so it is off most of the year.

agsansoo
I've been thinking of making a DIY chiller using an igloo cooler, small powerhead and hose. Something like this but smaller.

170.jpg

offminded
I've been thinking of making a DIY chiller using an igloo cooler, small powerhead and hose. Something like this but smaller.

169.jpg

wow...is that just the return line in the ice? what type of heater do you have?

Martinismommy
Andy,

Great tip on the water bottles in the sump! I am very concerned about Summer coming...It get's to be in the 120's here in Phoenix....Not only am I concerned about the tanks heating up I'm afraid of power outages...

offminded
oh yes...the dreaded rolling blackouts...we get those too

agsansoo
wow...is that just the return line in the ice? what type of heater do you have?

Yea.. just any return line coiled up in some ice. And my heater is just a regular 200 watt aquarium heater. The exact model is in my Member spotlight.

agsansoo
Andy,

Great tip on the water bottles in the sump! I am very concerned about Summer coming...It get's to be in the 120's here in Phoenix....Not only am I concerned about the tanks heating up I'm afraid of power outages...

Power outages ! You need to keep the water moving plus give it oxygen. So all I use is a battery powered emergency air-pump with a fine air stone.

offminded
Yea.. just any return line coiled up in some ice. And my heater is just a regular 200 watt aquarium heater. The exact model is in my Member spotlight.

hmmm...I guess I will need to get a more poweful return pump and some longer tubing. my setup is pretty tight underneath.

offminded
Power outages ! You need to keep the water moving plus give it oxygen. So all I use is a battery powered emergency air-pump with a fine air stone.

is that something that you have on hand when an emergency hits? or is it hooked up all the time?

Oil_Fan
Good idea on the water bottle idea!! Not sure what I'm going to do when I leave for the Independence day long weekend. I guess I'll figure that out as I see what my temps are in the tank as it gets closer.

agsansoo
is that something that you have on hand when an emergency hits? or is it hooked up all the time?

Only for emergency, takes two C-batteries.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
OnTheFly
Replies
Views
shrimpenthusiast
  • Question
Replies
Views
michaelsf90
Replies