Summer Projects [and Some Questions]

Bailey Oswald

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Now that summer break has arrived, I have time to start working at the family business and earn some money! This, in turn, means I can do the fish tank projects I've been brainstorming. I decided I'd let you guys in on what I'm doing so you can follow along and offer help if I need it.

First project that I'll be working on is my 50 gallon. There are two pieces of driftwood and I will be planting it. The plants will be what I'm buying first. Here are the plants I've decided on: red root floater; java moss; anubias coffeefolia; java fern; water wisteria; bacopa monneiri. If you have care tips for those plants, I'd love to hear them! The java moss is for on the wood, I'm probably also going to attach the anubias to the wood, but we'll see where it looks best when I get it. It'll be stocked with one albino bristlenose pleco, one mystery snail, red cherry shrimp, and guppies. I already have the snail and pleco, and after the tank is planted I'll order the shrimp and get the guppies. It is heated. What temp do you think I should keep it at? I was thinking around 76 or 75? I also would like to get a better filter. HOB preferred. Suggestions for good filters for this size tank? I like the sound of flowing water, but would prefer not to hear a motor running as the tank is in my bedroom. I also have a certain... predicament that I need suggestions in solving. I have a pink skirt tetra [GloFish] I received for my birthday that I need to find a new home for. I was going to give him to my friend but their tank still isn't up yet [I don't think they've even purchased it]. What should I do with him? I'd like him to have a good home with a nice school, however I'm not a fan of GloFish and don't really want to have them xD I was looking at ordering my shrimp from Aquatic Arts. Anywhere else you suggest getting them from? I'm also not sure where go get guppies. I might get some from my friend if I like the ones he has. I was looking at the Facebook seller Guppy Train (I think is what they're called), and the fish are gorgeous there but quite pricey for a 15 year old lol. Any other suggestions? I'm going to try and get three females per male.

The other project that I'll be getting to if I complete the 50 gallon is to finish planting my betta tanks. For Q's tank I think I'll do java fern. I tried Amazon sword but it turns out I'm not that great at keeping those. Only one of the maybe four is still alive. Owen's tank is done if his Italian Vallisneria start growing. They haven't really grown since I got them, but they've stuck in there so my fingers are crossed. I recently switched his fine white sand to black diamond blasting sand. I'm hoping the courser sand will be better for their roots. I do have root tabs for them and I dose the tank with liquid fertilizer after my weekly water changes. Zach's tank has been the most successful with plant growth. He has an anubias nana that, since I got fertilizer, has just taken off. It has so many leaves and looks great. I actually cut off a small piece of rhizome and planted it (not the rhizome, the roots) elsewhere in the tank. Very good growth there. He also has an anubias azfelii and a banana plant. The banana plant had decent growth for a while and then the leaves melted. I trimmed them off and now there is white stuff. Is it new growth? Do you have any care tips for banana plants? I really like it and want it to flourish. For Zach's tank I'd like to get a variety of anubias species. Any suggestions?

Congrats if you read all that xD Comments very welcome.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bailey Oswald said:
Now that summer break has arrived, I have time to start working at the family business and earn some money! This, in turn, means I can do the fish tank projects I've been brainstorming. I decided I'd let you guys in on what I'm doing so you can follow along and offer help if I need it.

First project that I'll be working on is my 50 gallon. There are two pieces of driftwood and I will be planting it. The plants will be what I'm buying first. Here are the plants I've decided on: red root floater; java moss; anubias coffeefolia; java fern; water wisteria; bacopa monneiri. If you have care tips for those plants, I'd love to hear them! The java moss is for on the wood, I'm probably also going to attach the anubias to the wood, but we'll see where it looks best when I get it. It'll be stocked with one albino bristlenose pleco, one mystery snail, red cherry shrimp, and guppies. I already have the snail and pleco, and after the tank is planted I'll order the shrimp and get the guppies. It is heated. What temp do you think I should keep it at? I was thinking around 76 or 75? I also would like to get a better filter. HOB preferred. Suggestions for good filters for this size tank? I like the sound of flowing water, but would prefer not to hear a motor running as the tank is in my bedroom. I also have a certain... predicament that I need suggestions in solving. I have a pink skirt tetra [GloFish] I received for my birthday that I need to find a new home for. I was going to give him to my friend but their tank still isn't up yet [I don't think they've even purchased it]. What should I do with him? I'd like him to have a good home with a nice school, however I'm not a fan of GloFish and don't really want to have them xD I was looking at ordering my shrimp from Aquatic Arts. Anywhere else you suggest getting them from? I'm also not sure where go get guppies. I might get some from my friend if I like the ones he has. I was looking at the Facebook seller Guppy Train (I think is what they're called), and the fish are gorgeous there but quite pricey for a 15 year old lol. Any other suggestions? I'm going to try and get three females per male.

The other project that I'll be getting to if I complete the 50 gallon is to finish planting my betta tanks. For Q's tank I think I'll do java fern. I tried Amazon sword but it turns out I'm not that great at keeping those. Only one of the maybe four is still alive. Owen's tank is done if his Italian Vallisneria start growing. They haven't really grown since I got them, but they've stuck in there so my fingers are crossed. I recently switched his fine white sand to black diamond blasting sand. I'm hoping the courser sand will be better for their roots. I do have root tabs for them and I dose the tank with liquid fertilizer after my weekly water changes. Zach's tank has been the most successful with plant growth. He has an anubias nana that, since I got fertilizer, has just taken off. It has so many leaves and looks great. I actually cut off a small piece of rhizome and planted it (not the rhizome, the roots) elsewhere in the tank. Very good growth there. He also has an anubias azfelii and a banana plant. The banana plant had decent growth for a while and then the leaves melted. I trimmed them off and now there is white stuff. Is it new growth? Do you have any care tips for banana plants? I really like it and want it to flourish. For Zach's tank I'd like to get a variety of anubias species. Any suggestions?

Congrats if you read all that xD Comments very welcome.
Hi bailey,

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us. It sounds like an awesome project to work on.

The plants you have picked are easy to care, low-tech plants. They dont need any special care, except for maybe the bacopa monneri, it needs moderate-high light. You might need to dose ferts into the water column with some stem plants that you plan to get.

For the temperature I think around 75-77 would be fine to accommodate to both the shrimp and the fish.

It would be better to run a single canister filter than an hob, theres one on ebay thats basically the same price as a good hob filter. The waterfall from the hob might also keep pushing the red root floaters underwater and will eventually cause them to die. If you would prefer to get an hob maybe 2 aquaclear 110 or 2 marineland biowheels 350B.

You can take the glofish back to the fish store you bought it or maybe somehere that’s local to you can take the fish.

I’m not familiar with aquatic arts but if they have good reviews then definitely get them from there if you’d like. Most fancy guppies are quite expensive because of their design and they reason they are easy to breed and profit off. You can check out ebay. I’ve seen reasonably priced fancy guppies, just be sure the seller has good reviews.

Now for Q’s tank, were the amazon swords purchased from petco or petsmart? Those plant’s leaves tend to die since they are grow emersed. They’ll eventually turn fully submerged but may take a while. I have one amazon sword that has been through 5 uproots and 3 times I have ripped off countless leaves. It’s still alive and growing new leaves so I find it hard to actually kill an amazon sword. What kind of light do you have? In both the 50 gal and your betta tanks?

I notice with banana plants, they’re really sensitive to change, IME. I have one that I just sit above the substrate since I don’t have space for it so i’m always moving him around and the leaves just melt then grow back in a few days.
Im not sure what the white stuff could be is it on the leaves or the trunks?

For zach’s tank, you can also do pretty much any anubias you want. They’re really easy to keep. I have a nice bunch of anubias barteri in my betta tank.

Bailey Oswald

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bryangar said:
Hi bailey,

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us. It sounds like an awesome project to work on.

The plants you have picked are easy to care, low-tech plants. They dont need any special care, except for maybe the bacopa monneri, it needs moderate-high light. You might need to dose ferts into the water column with some stem plants that you plan to get.

For the temperature I think around 75-77 would be fine to accommodate to both the shrimp and the fish.

It would be better to run a single canister filter than an hob, theres one on ebay thats basically the same price as a good hob filter. The waterfall from the hob might also keep pushing the red root floaters underwater and will eventually cause them to die. If you would prefer to get an hob maybe 2 aquaclear 110 or 2 marineland biowheels 350B.

You can take the glofish back to the fish store you bought it or maybe somehere that’s local to you can take the fish.

I’m not familiar with aquatic arts but if they have good reviews then definitely get them from there if you’d like. Most fancy guppies are quite expensive because of their design and they reason they are easy to breed and profit off. You can check out ebay. I’ve seen reasonably priced fancy guppies, just be sure the seller has good reviews.

Now for Q’s tank, were the amazon swords purchased from petco or petsmart? Those plant’s leaves tend to die since they are grow emersed. They’ll eventually turn fully submerged but may take a while. I have one amazon sword that has been through 5 uproots and 3 times I have ripped off countless leaves. It’s still alive and growing new leaves so I find it hard to actually kill an amazon sword. What kind of light do you have? In both the 50 gal and your betta tanks?

I notice with banana plants, they’re really sensitive to change, IME. I have one that I just sit above the substrate since I don’t have space for it so i’m always moving him around and the leaves just melt then grow back in a few days.
Im not sure what the white stuff could be is it on the leaves or the trunks?

For zach’s tank, you can also do pretty much any anubias you want. They’re really easy to keep. I have a nice bunch of anubias barteri in my betta tank.
I have a liquid fert that I'll be using in all my planted tanks. I also have root tabs for any plants that need it.

I've never used a canister filter and am unsure how they work. I'll have to look into it.

I'm not sure where the GloFish was bought (though I'm pretty positive it was bought at the one local pet store) as I received it for my birthday a year ago. I'll have to see if they'll take him back but I'm not sure if they will.

I'll check out eBay and look for guppies. :>

The Amazon Swords were ordered from h2oplants. I just think I'm very bad at keeping swords xD. At first there was just a bit of melt but they eventually did die, save for the one.

For the lighting on my betta tanks I just have the LED lights that came on the hoods. For the 50 gallon I have a Finnex Stingray.

Anubias are very easy to keep and they look great, which is why I like them. I'm curious what types everyone likes so I can explore different variants. I might get some barteri, it was one I had in mind.

Here's a picture of the banana plant and the white stuff.
cd226fc323587f16adb27e7f6acb6120.jpg

Bailey Oswald

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I looked at canister filters and I think I'll go with a Hydor filter. Thanks for suggesting canister filters! It seems like it'll be a good upgrade.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom