Sulfaplex???

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by BETTALADIES, Apr 15, 2018.

1. B

BETTALADIES New Member Member

Hi all, with a little more research I wish I would have started with maracyn2 for my daughters Betta.

Question 1: anyone use Sulfaplex? Has success?

Question 2: would it be really bad to stop sulfaplex and start maracyn2?

I should have said for popeye

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

How far along are you with sulfa? How many days left?

3. OP
    OP
    B

I just gave the first dose yesterday. But this morning I woke up and its in both eyes.

4. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

It will depend on your choice if you think stopping treatment is the right thing to do in your situation (not responding to treatment, getting worse etc).

I have personally stopped meds a lot at my own discretion, but never for sulphas. As a disclaimer, I'm pretty heavy handed with meds so I would wait for someone else to confirm.

If you are very worried about it, I *think* it is ok to feed sulpha while doing a round of maracyn, but again I would google that a lot before doing it.

5. OP
    OP
    B

ok, thanks - this is my first experience with fish meds at all so i am mostly online researching and asking on forums

ok, thanks - this is my first experience with fish meds so I am mostly just online researching and posting on forums to figure this out

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

There might be a way to cure the popeye without using these meds.

Can you list tank size, tank mates, and water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

7. OP
    OP
    B

hes in a quarantine - i recently had a baby and the water got dirty which is definitely the reason for this.

the tank mates were tetras but they are all fine. it was 10 gallon and i haven't checked any levels in a while but the temp pretty much stays at 78-79 according to the therm.

His tank is now a 1 gallon with a 5 watt heater. i put sulfaplex already in there which is advertised by Seachem as a sort of catch all if you don't know what is ailing your fish.

Now I am completely unsure because hes got a white patch on his forehead along with both eyes looking pretty bad. It looks like fungus - almost fuzzy looking like you'd see on a peach that went bad.

He wont eat.

I'm really sad, though its my daughters fish.

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A 10 gal is too small for a betta with other fish (bettas can be easily stressed by tankmates - they're not community fish), so stress could be contributing too. I would get him his own 5 gal tank.

Rather than meds, I'd be doing daily water changes of at least 50%.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice