Suitable permanent home for my corydoras?

Bamboothebetta

Reactions
I am currently raising 6 baby corydoras in a 10 gallon but will be buying/setting up a permanent tank around Christmas and I’m wondering if this tank would be a suitable long term home for them as adults? It’s 36x12x12” and 22 gallons. I would also like to add red cherry shrimps to the tank and maybe a few more corydoras, but no other fish. I plan to have lots of plants too! Any better recommendations? I also like the cube aquariums, but have read those are not really appropriate for corydoras and that they prefer longer tanks.

Attachments

Best Answer - View Ghelfaire's answer

Mii

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Should be ok as long as you use a soft substrate for them. Idk if they will eat shrimp or not i don't keep shrimp at the moment (butay keep them in the future)

OP
B

Bamboothebetta

Reactions
DoubleDutch said:
It indeed is a perfect tank.
Corys don't eat shrimp
I was hoping this tank would work for them! I’m so excited to set up a “show tank” with these guys in it. They are so cute and busy. I hope they don’t grow too fast while I save up to get their big tank and all the plants/rocks/wood etc...

Do they eat the baby shrimp at all? I’ve heard cherry shrimp breed like crazy.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Bamboothebetta said:
I was hoping this tank would work for them! I’m so excited to set up a “show tank” with these guys in it. They are so cute and busy. I hope they don’t grow too fast while I save up to get their big tank and all the plants/rocks/wood etc...

Do they eat the baby shrimp at all? I’ve heard cherry shrimp breed like crazy.
They won't keep the population in hand hahaha.

OP
B

Bamboothebetta

Reactions
DoubleDutch said:
They won't keep the population in hand hahaha.
That’s my main fear with the shrimp. I love the idea but I’m afraid of them overpopulating my tank. I do have a newt and betta that will no doubt eat them (especially the newt, he’ll eat anything that moves) but I’m not sure besides feeding them to other pets what I’d do with the “excess” of shrimps I’m assuming if the fish lay eggs, I can kind of scoop them out but I’m thinking I wouldn’t be able to see shrimp eggs to do the same.

Algonquin

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
It will take quite a while in a 22 gallon tank for you to feel like your shrimps are 'overpopulating' it. They have a very small bioload, so it's really not an issue. If you feel like there are too many at any point, sell them locally :)

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
The newt and betta will eat shrimp. Shrimp populations don’t build up when there’s predators in the tank. They don’t breed. I gave a buddy 20 rcs for his betta tank and the betta ate them all when dropped in. So you have to establish the rcs first before adding fish. I have corys in one shrimp tank but they were added later. Pygmy Cory’s eat shrimp! And snails!

OP
B

Bamboothebetta

Reactions
DoubleDutch said:
I've sold hundreds of them.
how does one sell them? On like craigslist or to pet stores? I’ve never seen them in any local pet stores.

Algonquin

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
I think everyone has different experiences with what fish will and won't eat shrimp when housed together. I have a betta in a tank full of shrimp. He used to attack and destroy them, then eat what was left, but over time he got over it. Maybe because he's well fed? I dunno but he ignores them now, and the population has boomed. I've got another tank with shrimp that also has endlers and pygmy cories. The shrimp breed very regularly in there too, and the fish & shrimp eat side by side. It's very Kumbaya :joyful:
So you just never know how it will work out :)

OP
B

Bamboothebetta

Reactions
86 ssinit said:
The newt and betta will eat shrimp. Shrimp populations don’t build up when there’s predators in the tank. They don’t breed. I gave a buddy 20 rcs for his betta tank and the betta tank and it ate them all when dropped in. So you have to establish the rcs first before adding fish. I have corys in one shrimp tank but they were added later. Pygmy Cory’s eat shrimp! And snails!
To be clear, the newt and betta are both aggressive and have their own tanks, shrimps would just be offered as snacks. The tank is be keeping shrimp in is one I plan to set up mainly for corydoras but thought shrimp would be a nice accent since the corydoras aren’t mean lol

Mancmike

Reactions
I've got neocaridina shrimp in tanks with pygmies, sterbai, black Venezuelans and Similis and the shrimp have been breeding fine for 2 years (along with guppies, tetras and an apistograma). I recently noticed the Similis pecking at a couple of shrimp but I think the problem was that after rescaping the tank I hadn't provided enough cover for the shrimp to moult safely. I added a few seed pods and I haven't seen them pecking at any shrimp since. They've never been interested in the active shrimp that I've seen.

The apistograma was the only fish I noticed even interested in the shrimp and that wasn't too often. And he was never fast enough to catch them.

New Threads