Suitable algae eater for 20 gallon

GL098
Hello, so I currently have a mystery snail but I feel like he doesn’t really clean the tank much. I was just wondering if there is any other kind of algae eater that could live in the tank?I have 4 Pygmy Corys, 5 guppies and the snail. I really want a pleco but I know that they aren’t really suitable for 20 gallons, but are there any kinds of plecos that can live in a 20 gal?

Advertisement
Chenpoes
You could probably keep a bristlenose pleco in a 20g, but keep in mind while they do get rid of algae, they produce A LOT of waste, poop for days. With good filtration and frequent water changes you should be fine though. For other algae eaters, maybe some otocinclus? I've never owned them, but I hear people can have issues with them because they tend to only want actual algae, and once its all gone they won't go for wafers and just starve. My info might be outdated, so if they're a fish you're interested in I'd take a look!

Hugooo
Hi! You have a variety of options, like nerite snails, assassin snails, otos, and more. Unforunately, I don't know anything about plecos. Also, you might want to bump up the pygmy cory school to 6 or 7.

Another thing, is it a 20 long or high?

GL098
Hi! You have a variety of options, like nerite snails, assassin snails, otos, and more. Unforunately, I don't know anything about plecos. Also, you might want to bump up the pygmy cory school to 6 or 7.

Another thing, is it a 20 long or high?
Yes, I am going to get more of the Pygmy dories I just didn’t want to add too many fish at once. It is a 20 high.

FinalFins
I would get a nerite snail. Small and does the job. Plecos are too messy and BNs are really big for a 20 high.

Debbie1986
re: above about - assassin snails

assassin snails are whelks and eat protein/meat. they only eat algae if starving.

AsleepInYorkshire
Hello, so I currently have a mystery snail but I feel like he doesn’t really clean the tank much. I was just wondering if there is any other kind of algae eater that could live in the tank?I have 4 Pygmy Corys, 5 guppies and the snail. I really want a pleco but I know that they aren’t really suitable for 20 gallons, but are there any kinds of plecos that can live in a 20 gal?
Otocinclus or Siamese Flying Fox. Probably Otocinclus would be more suited to your tank size. Dependent upon how much algae there is and how many Otocinclus there are it may be necessary to supplement with algae wafers.

AiYn'U

altwitch
I agree with post immediately above. I chanced onto Otocinclus Catfish when I accidentally got one mixed in with another fish purchase and they are my fave algae eater ever. I immediately stocked about 9 more in my 120 gal. The favorite aspect of them is while other species occasionally clean plants that's their bread and butter. They will eat off the glass, filter and other surfaces but for keeping my plants squeaky clean they are the masters. I also have bristle plecos and mystery snails, and the bristlenose are my heavy algae suckers for rock and wood decor if that's what you're looking for and can easily fit one in a 20 no problem but probably no more than that.

All are great community fish so depends on your preference and tank design.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
elisa001
Replies
Views
ginkgo505
Replies
Views
Polyrhythm
Replies
Views