Suicidal Fish!

Freshwater Fan

Reaction score

3 nights ago, I happened to be up researching my next car. I was about to call it night and go to bed when I heard a large spash, followed by a thud. I quickly sprang to the tank and found that one of my gorgeous green terrors had jumped out and was behind the tank gasping. I was barely able to reach him an had to drag him across the carpet! I tossed her back into the tank and atched her for a little while. She seemed to be fine. Thank god the carpet broke her fall.
The next 2 days she seemed to be doing just fine, as if nothing ever happened. I was happy, but a little alarmed. This morning to my wifes horror, She found Bella, (poor thing) in the middle of the living room, pretty dried out. She jumped out AGAIN last night, and unfortunatley noonw was there to save her. She did share the tank with another terror, but other than a little cat and mouse play, they never really fought with eachother and generaly got along. What would cause a fish to vehemently want to jump out of the tank? I mean, there is only about an inch of room in the back of the tank, and both times she made it out! I'm really upset by this! She was a gorgeous fish. RIP. What can I out in the back to hold the fish in? :-C I need to find some kind of netting I suppose.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
omg! I'm so sorry about the loss that's just heart breaking....id do a quick test in case of a minI cycle because usually that could be an issue ...ive never had a terror jump and I definitely would cover up all the holes

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh no!!!!!!! Years ago I had a Silver Dollar to get startled while I was doing a vacuum and he zoomed right out the top before I knew what was going on. Luckily I was there and he survived with no other problems. Try not to feel too badly. I think many of us have lost a fish or two this way. I lay hand towels across the back of my tank to cover all the holes and to keep the heat in during the winter. My Red Finned Shark isn't going any where (known for jumping)
As Shawnie mentioned I would check my readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Some fish will jump when their water isn't up to par or just a little out of whack.

Tony G.

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
aww I'm sorry
i've never had any fish jump out.
Maybe you could put some heavy books on the top so if they jump he won't bump the lid off

New Threads