Suggestions

starshine

Reaction score
O.K., here's the question.  I started a new tank awhile back.  I have an established aquarium, and I seeded the new one with gravel from the old and an old filter. Several days later, I threw in 5 zebra danios to help the cycling along.  The water is now ready for more fish, and I was just wanting some suggestions as to some combinations of fish.  I know they are endless.  I'd like to have a non-aggressive tank.  My old tank is a 10-gallon freshwater with 4 comets (they're growing fast), 3 African dwarf frogs, and one peacock eel.  My new tank is a 30-gallon with just the zebras in it.  I think I'm going to move the eel into the hex because it has finer gravel, better hiding places, and my 10 is a little overstocked.  I know there are infinite combinations, but I'm just trying to get an idea.  I don't want all small fish, either (I thought of going the Tetra route, but then decided not to). So, any brilliant ideas??

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'm into Angelfish right now (as some of the folks here could probably tell you...lol).
They seem to have personalities almost as interesting as Oscars, but aren't nearly as aggressive. Mine are a riot!!!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Jim said:
Personally, I'm into Angelfish right now (as some of the folks here could probably tell you...lol). 
They seem to have personalities almost as interesting as Oscars, but aren't nearly as aggressive.  Mine are a riot!!!
Not sure if angels would be a good choice with the danios. It might work if the danios seem to keep to themselves. They may find the angel's fins irresistible. For the bottom of the tank, try going to www.planetcatfish.com for some ideas. I just love cory cats for the bottom of my tank, but you might want something different. That website will help you pick a pleco if you want one, along with more exotic fish you might want to try. What type of substrate do you have in that new tank? Is it gravel, or sand? I really like the whiptail catfish. Another good site to look at is www.loaches.com. Loaches are very cool, and have various personalities. The horsefaced loach seems like a very cool fish if you have a sand bottom. I have yo yo loaches, and love them in my tank.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your 10 gallon tank is way overstocked. I say that the minimum for a single comet is a 55 gallon aquarium. Comets grow to 12 inches. I wonder why people say the minimum tank size for goldfish is a 20 gallon aquarium? They nearly grow as big as oscars. I suggest you return them to the store....but by seeing your signature, I see that you have 2 gerbils. I'm a big fan of them....

starshine

Reaction score
Thanks you guys for your input so far. This is exactly the reason that I decided to ask some suggestions on this site...the variety of information and ideas. My danios do seem a little nippy - not unfriendly with each other, but they chase each other around like mad and seem like they may be a little too "playful" for a very "finny" fish. Yes, I love my gerbils! They have an intricate maze of tunnels and compartments...they're very happy. And don't worry, my comets are not even close to 12 inches!! When I got them they were the size of my danios, and I'm just amazed that they are now a solid 1 1/2 or so inches. And I'd sooner expand to accomodate my growing friends than give them away! They're survivers! And they're totally awesome aside from the fact that they eat my live plants down to nubs. They're full of personality, and will even come out of the water a little when I give them their flake food and nibble my fingers. My water quality in my 10 is always excellent, as I keep on top of the situation and check it often (as I stated, I am aware that it is overstocked). As far as my hex goes, the substrate is gravel, a little on the fine side, but still gravel. And it's live planted. If I have to eventually expand for my golden friends, I'll have to keep the frogs with them...they're a little family. Keep the comments coming!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom