75 Gallon Tank Suggestions Please..

Element

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here. Well I have everything I need to build my 75G Fresh Water Aquarium but "FISH".

Got a list of fish in mind and I just need to ask how many number of Tiger Barbs can i have?

Tiger Barb 10-20-??
Clown Loach 6
Pleco 1 (I'm still looking for a beautiful pleco that doesn't grow much)

also,

I live in the Philippines, a tropical Asian country. Do I still need to put heater for my water?

Thanks!

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Element, Welcome to Fishlore! I'm afraid that 6 Clown Laches will be far too many for a 75gal tank, as they grow to around 10-12 inches. I personally wouldn't keep even 1 in a 75gal. If you want Loaches the why not have a look at the Botia Loaches? These guys don't grow as large, and are very attractive fish. There are several different types.

A good Pleco for a 75gal would be the Bristlenose Plec, these guys look great and you could keep 2 or 3 in a 75gal tank. I'm not too familiar with Tiger Barbs, so I'll leave that to someone with more experience with these fish.

I would personally use a heater, even though you're in a hot country, as it will help to keep the temperature stable, which is important for the fishes well-being.

If you are new to fishkeeping it is important to know about the nitrogen cycle. This link has a great article that will help explain it. This is a great site with lots of friendly people, with heaps of knowledge about keeping tropical fish, who will be more than happy to help out with anything you're unsure of. Good Luck

Element

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Nick Goody!

I searched the BN Pleco and it looks really good. Here in the Philippines we call them "JANITOR FISH". hehe! I think I'll just get 1 or 2 of them.

I never thought Clown Loaches grow that big. I guess I missed reading that part about them because of excitement. Sad but I guess I wont get them anymore.

I never used a heater before. Do they come with instructions on how to use them? What kind of heater should I use with my 75G? Sorry to bug you with my questions because Pet Shops Sales Representatives here are not really knowledgeable and experienced with this matter because all they do is tell you the price of an item and ask you "Will you buy one?".. ^_^

Thanks!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In a 75, yeah you could do a LARGE school of tiger barbs. I keep 10 in a 29, so 20 in a 75 is not that many. They will limit your stocking options because of their agggressive nature.

as for a heater....is the tank inside? and if it is, what is the ambient temperature of the house?

Element

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Jaysee!

I guess I'll just stick with the school of TB's and 2 Plecos, anymore addition to my list? Id like to have bottom dwellers too.. ^_^

The tank is inside the house. As for the ambiance, It's hot and humid most of the time. Temperature outside can reach up to 36C during summer and 20C during colder season. We use Celsius here in our country.

Thanks!

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hummm, I don't think you need a heater. A 75 gallon will not suddenly change temps...it does take a while. Seasonal temp changes can induce spawning. Your problem maybe heat during your warm season. You might need good airflow blowing over your tank...and not a tight lid or cover. Having an airstone would help during summers....warm water holds less oxygen.

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We live in asia... I am from singapore and i clearly know that you do not no need a heater unless you are placing it in a 24/7 air con room.. The weather is just too hot
-

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Jaysee!

I guess I'll just stick with the school of TB's and 2 Plecos, anymore addition to my list? Id like to have bottom dwellers too.. ^_^

The tank is inside the house. As for the ambiance, It's hot and humid most of the time. Temperature outside can reach up to 36C during summer and 20C during colder season. We use Celsius here in our country.

Thanks!
What's the temperature INSIDE the house?

You could certainly do some loaches, like angelicus or yoyo loaches. Loaches are a type of catfish, more or less. You could also do some pictus cats instead of the loaches.

If you went with the loaches and tiger barbs, you could probably add some mild mannered cichlids, like firemouths. Recommending cichlids is a bit outside of my area of expertise, but I'm sure someone else will have some ideas on that.

Element

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@ TedsTank and chumzujun:

10 or more years ago, I had 2 75G tanks, 1st tank has 2 Oscars and the 2nd tank has 1 Red Tail Catfish. At first when they were just little they shared the same tank but eventually they have to be separated to reach their full potential size. I had no problem with regards to temperature then, maybe because they are "BIG" kind of fish that's why they can cope with anything.

Now, I'm building a community tank that's why I'm kinda concerned with the temperature of the water.

@ Jaysee: normal room temperature during summer is 30-32C and in colder days it can be a little lower, around 24-26C.

Maybe I'll just secure my tank with a heater ready to use on colder days just to make sure..

Thanks guys!

I'll be building my tank this weekend. Hope I can post some pictures.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom