Suggestions please..

1. bruiser Member Member

Hey, I'd like some help/ideas/suggestions on stocking my 33g long. 36LX12Wx18H

The tank has gravel substrate and all decorations are caves/hiding spots. 2 fake plants, that will soon be removed and replaced with a bunch of live plants. there is a pic of my setup in my profile.

Mislead by the guy at my LFS I currently have;
    1 female krib
    1 Melanochromis chipokae cichlid
    1 Haplochromis venustus

I'm going to take the chipokee and the venustus back, so I would like to stock my tank around the krib.

I'm going to get a male krib for her, and I would like to get a bristle nose pleco. other than that, I'm lost!!

I would prefer to keep with fish around the size of my kribs.. (not as interested in the real small varieties.) But any and all suggestions are greatly appriacted!!

Thanks!
    Chris.

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I would say some sort of smaller or more placid barb :) I would go with something like this :)

2 Kribs
    1 BN pleco
    8-10 cherry barbs
    1 dwarf gourami

3. bruiser Member Member

Okay heres another question for you.. I like a lot of the loaches eels.. that sort of stuff, would there be room for a couple of those in there, or do you think the bottom of the tank would be busy enough with;
    2 kribs
    1 BN

4. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well maybe if you gave up the dwarf gourami and have 6-8 barbs instead you could have a group of kulhli loaches :)

5. bruiser Member Member

That works, I`m not a big fan of the dwarf gourami..

What would you guys say about 1 or 2 dwarf frogs?

6. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I would say no to african dwarf frogs, they do best in a small species tank alone

7. bruiser Member Member

Okay, fair enough.. I`m going to do a little more research and head to LFS to see what I can come up with.

thanks.

8. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Ok :)
    Just going from what we've talked about, go for something like this as your stock:

2 kribensis
    1 bn pleco
    6-8 cherry barbs
    5-6 kuhli loaches

9. bruiser Member Member

Hey, yesterday I took the Venustus and the Chipokee back to the LFS.

I bought;
    1-male krib (I think they have gave me another female. I'll have to wait a bit to see, he/she is hiding out a lot right now..)
    1-Bristle nose Pleco.
    3-Kuhli loaches.

I'm going to leave it at that for a couple weeks, and then find a small school of something to add some color and life to the middle/top of my tank.

thanks for your help!

10. platy ben Well Known Member Member

That sounds good :)
    Sensible to leave it :), let the parameters settle to the new fish :)

I guess you intend on adding more kuhlis at some point to?

11. bruiser Member Member

Yes definitely. probably 3 more. bring it up to 6. I really like them.. I think they look really neat with the black gravel! I found an eel yesterday also that I really liked, A spiny eel I believe. But I didn't want to put too much into the bottom of the tank.

12. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Glad you didnt get it, they get quite big and eat anything that will fit in their mouth, which is surprisingly big :O

13. bruiser Member Member

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too, I had a Bichir for a while and he was a tank.. Amazing fish though!