Suggestions On Fish

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello fish forums,
I have ideas for my 10gallon tank once it finishes cycling, and I want advice from experienced fish owners. I have decided that I want a gourami, what kind I have not yet decided(most likely honey, powder blue, or neon blue, which can all be found on LiveAquaria). Now about gouramis, I'd like to have fancy guppies, a group of tetras, or some other small fish that won't compete with the gourami. Are there any suggestions as to other fish going well with it? Also, if I just pick two gouramis(male + female) will they breed? That is the last thing I want! So my choices are gourami as centerpiece and some guppies/another fish that works, or 2 gouramis if they wouldn't breed. One last question, is LiveAquaria a good site? I no longer trust PetSmart due to the fact that they have never said anything about cycling, so I want to try online ordering. I would purchase my gourami, my guppies, and some plants. Thanks

Nympxzie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sparkling gourami are good for a 10 gallon. I would say that honey gourami can work in a 10, but other users will tell your otherwise. No toher gourami (neon/powder blue or flame) can work in a 10g
A few guppies (3-6) can work in the 10 with the gourami.
Tetra options: ember(8-10), chili rasbora(8-10), neon (6-8).

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would disagree about the dwarf gouramis. I have mine in a 10 gal, and he is much happier than he was in my 55 gal (and he had no aggressive tank mates - only cories and danios). He's eating well now, not pacing, and not running into the glass. I think a DG would be fine in the 10 gal as long as he's by himself.

JeffK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think a trio of sparking gourami are the most appropriate gourami for a 10 gal. Honey gourami may or may not work as people do keep them in 10 gal. Personally, I used to have a honey in my 15 gal, but he's much happier in my 29 gal. Guppies would be fine, endlers would also work in a 10 gal. Celestial Pearl Danios are another possibility that would work.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok so how about my trio of Sparkling Gouramis, and 5 or 6 Endler's Livebearers? I'd rather not go with Danio's as I heard they are active and require 20g +. Any idea where I can buy these fish, such as Petco? I was leaning towards LiveAquaria but 35$ shipping and a minimum of 30$ is just too much for me.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That would be too much I think. The Sparkling Gouramis by themselves, or the Endler's by themselves. You could up the Endler's numbers a bit.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Isn't 3 sparkling gouramis a small amount though considering their size? What if I purchased 2, and then some livebearer's? Also, if I purchased all males(gourami), would they fight during mating? I don't want any of my fish to ever breed, so I'd only mix male and female if they wouldn't breed.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TD is right, all I would do in a 10 gallon is 3 sparkling gouramis or the endlers.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would disagree about the dwarf gouramis. I have mine in a 10 gal, and he is much happier than he was in my 55 gal (and he had no aggressive tank mates - only cories and danios). He's eating well now, not pacing, and not running into the glass. I think a DG would be fine in the 10 gal as long as he's by himself.
Is yours full grown? At 3 fully grown inches it likely will not be as happy as you think.
TD is right, all I would do in a 10 gallon is 3 sparkling gouramis or the endlers.
Sparkling gouramis are social, I would do them in groups of 5, which is all I'd do in a 10. Just 5 sparklers and nothing else.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you, and they won't fight during "mating season" if I get all male right? Or am I supposed to get male and female?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom