Suggestions On Fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by happygolucky, Jul 30, 2015.

1. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Hello fish forums,
    I have ideas for my 10gallon tank once it finishes cycling, and I want advice from experienced fish owners. I have decided that I want a gourami, what kind I have not yet decided(most likely honey, powder blue, or neon blue, which can all be found on LiveAquaria). Now about gouramis, I'd like to have fancy guppies, a group of tetras, or some other small fish that won't compete with the gourami. Are there any suggestions as to other fish going well with it? Also, if I just pick two gouramis(male + female) will they breed? That is the last thing I want! So my choices are gourami as centerpiece and some guppies/another fish that works, or 2 gouramis if they wouldn't breed. One last question, is LiveAquaria a good site? I no longer trust PetSmart due to the fact that they have never said anything about cycling, so I want to try online ordering. I would purchase my gourami, my guppies, and some plants. Thanks :)

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Sparkling gourami are good for a 10 gallon. I would say that honey gourami can work in a 10, but other users will tell your otherwise. No toher gourami (neon/powder blue or flame) can work in a 10g
    A few guppies (3-6) can work in the 10 with the gourami.
    Tetra options: ember(8-10), chili rasbora(8-10), neon (6-8).

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Neon tetras won't work in a 10 gallon as they are too active and would need a minimum of 20 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would disagree about the dwarf gouramis. I have mine in a 10 gal, and he is much happier than he was in my 55 gal (and he had no aggressive tank mates - only cories and danios). He's eating well now, not pacing, and not running into the glass. I think a DG would be fine in the 10 gal as long as he's by himself.

5. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I think a trio of sparking gourami are the most appropriate gourami for a 10 gal. Honey gourami may or may not work as people do keep them in 10 gal. Personally, I used to have a honey in my 15 gal, but he's much happier in my 29 gal. Guppies would be fine, endlers would also work in a 10 gal. Celestial Pearl Danios are another possibility that would work.

6. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Ok so how about my trio of Sparkling Gouramis, and 5 or 6 Endler's Livebearers? I'd rather not go with Danio's as I heard they are active and require 20g +. Any idea where I can buy these fish, such as Petco? I was leaning towards LiveAquaria but 35$ shipping and a minimum of 30$ is just too much for me.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That would be too much I think. The Sparkling Gouramis by themselves, or the Endler's by themselves. You could up the Endler's numbers a bit.

8. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Isn't 3 sparkling gouramis a small amount though considering their size? What if I purchased 2, and then some livebearer's? Also, if I purchased all males(gourami), would they fight during mating? I don't want any of my fish to ever breed, so I'd only mix male and female if they wouldn't breed.

9. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

TD is right, all I would do in a 10 gallon is 3 sparkling gouramis or the endlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Is yours full grown? At 3 fully grown inches it likely will not be as happy as you think.
    Sparkling gouramis are social, I would do them in groups of 5, which is all I'd do in a 10. Just 5 sparklers and nothing else.

11. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Thank you, and they won't fight during "mating season" if I get all male right? Or am I supposed to get male and female?

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Not sure, but I would get 1 male 4 females.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice