Suggestions on choosing a fish

Aquaman

Reaction score
HI everyone,

I had a Betta in a 10 gallon tank that passed away in November. Now I have a large solitary Albino Mystery Snail named Lenora who's having the time of her (?) life ruling the tank. I'm looking for a colorful non-aggressive fish that can live peacefully with Lenora. I would rather have only 1 or 2 fish, but I understand some species do better in groups of 4 or so. I don't want to go any higher than that. I'd rather stay away from the fish breeding as I'm still somewhat of a beginner with fish tanks. The 10 gallon tank is cycled, has a heater, airstones and an Aquaclear 5-20 gallon filter. I could possibly go up to a 20 gallon tank but only as a last resort. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions and help. ???

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe Otos or glass fish? The link posted by Tom would be a good place to browse the fish out there & get an idea of what would fit your needs & tank, plus be the looks & characteristics you want.

SHPEPoser

Reaction score
You could get some tetras. There are a lot of different ones to pick from and they are a lot of fun to watch. Also guppies are colorful fish. They really do best in a one male to two female ratio. There's also mollies and platies. I like the Blue Ram. Hope that helps

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hI aquaman, how r u ? I agree with Tom, u should keep African butterfly cichlid, u love cichlids I know. this fish grow up to 4 inches and can be kept in a group (but they can live alone too). but u can't keep smaller fish with them; as they r predator. this is a very uncommon and beautiful fish don't keep them with fin nippers (Barbs, tetras etc.)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Neville said:
hI aquaman, how r u ? I agree with Tom, u should keep African butterfly cichlid, u love cichlids I know. this fish grow up to 4 inches and can be kept in a group (but they can live alone too). but u can't keep smaller fish with them; as they r predator. this is a very uncommon and beautiful fish don't keep them with fin nippers (Barbs, tetras etc.)
Yea, that African Butterfly is a VERY beautiful fish! We don't see them in our home town but saw some here in Denver and I think they're the most amazing cichlids that I've seen.

OP
A

Aquaman

Reaction score
Thank you very much everyone. I've begun researching specifics on each of the fish. Tom's link is a lot of help.
I may come back with questions. I'll make sure to post pictures of what I choose. Thanks again.

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tom said:
I don't think they are cichlids. But the local Petland has about 20-30 of them for sale in the plant tank. They are about $12CDN, that is what I paid for my ram.
Tom
well, yeah, I think they r the only species of their kind!!! but they look klike cichlids to me, but think they r not cichlid.

OP
A

Aquaman

Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure how it happened, but I went out to PetSmart today just to look at decorations and I came home with a new 20 gallon long tank. : It's sitting on a towel in the bathtub. I've filled it with water so I can make certain there are no leaks before setting it up.

Okay, questions: ???

1) Neo Tetras and Zebra Danios - would they get along? I was considering 2 and 2, or something like that.

2) Going through PetSmart my girlfriend and I liked the Guppies, Dwarf Gourami's, Molly's and Red Swordtails. BUT the signs on the tanks stated that all 4 require Aquarium Salt. Do they or is this just a suggestion? From what I've read here in the forums adding salt can help keep fish healthy and can be used in conjunction with medications to speed recovery, but a lot of people are not convinced. Obviously, salt is very BAD for snails!

Regarding Cichlids; I liked their colors but I read that several species eat invertebrates. That would not be good.
Also, unfortunately for me the employees in the fish sections of my local PetSmart and Petco stores are always new and can't answer many of my questions. I'd rather trust people who have kept these fish and have experience keeping tanks.

Again, thanks for any help!

Guzalot

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquaman said:
Well, I'm not sure how it happened, but I went out to PetSmart today just to look at decorations and I came home with a new 20 gallon long tank.
Funny how that happens, isn't it...

Welcome to MTS!

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hI aquaman! salt act as a medicine for all fish, mollies like salt but it is not necessary to add salt in molly tanks, and u definitely do not have to add salt for guppies, gouramis or any other freshwater fish, as I said salt act only as a medicine for them. neons and zebras will go along fine; they r schooling fish, u have to keep 6 of them as usual to reduce their fin nipping habit.

Don't forget to cycle your new tank!!!

goodluck

SHPEPoser

Reaction score
Well Neons and zebras do get along. I have guppies neons and blue danios. They are all very friendly. As far as aquarium salt. I use it. I didn't at first and my guppies got sick. I don't think it will make a big difference as long as you keep up on your water levels. It's generally a good idea and not that expensive. I've also heard that you can use Kosher salt. Don't know how true that is.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We have a tank of Platys and they do fine and are healthy without aquarium salt. I'm not sure that any freshwater fish absolutely must have it and with a snail in the tank, I'd skip it due to the obvious reasons.

If you get livebearers, try to get all males unless you want fry. I think you'd want more than 2 neon tetras and zebra danios.
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-NeonTetra.htm - the neons like 6 or more and only get to 1.5" each.
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-ZebraDanio.htm - the danios like 6 or more and get to 2" each.

If you got 6 of each, your 20 gallon would be maxed out with 21" of fish.

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
Neons (tetras in general) and danios should be kept in small shoals of at least 5....Liverbearers- If you don't want fry, I would stay with all females......Multiple males could tend to stress each other out as they love to compete for dominance. If you choose guppies, just be sure to watch out for fin nippers when choosing tank mates....

Killifish are very cool, though they tend to be top dwellers....Dwarf Gouramis are cool and colorful and can be kept in pairs as long as they have places to hide.....

Corys for the bottom dwellers are always fun...So many varieties to choose from and very easy to keep. Check out skunk, panda & peppered.....

Or you could do an all cichlid tank....Hopefully my next venture......

OP
A

Aquaman

Reaction score
Well, it took awhile, but after much consideration my girlfriend and I finally decided on a pair of blue Dwarf Gourami's and a new albino Mystery Snail (Lenora, our BIG Mystery snail passed away this morning) :'(
We had a service for Lenora this evening and decided not to let a fully cycled 20 gallon tank go to waste. I'm currently acclimating the 2 Dwarves and the snail to the tank water via the bucket method. As soon as they're all in and feeling a little more relaxed I'll post some pix. Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions!

P.S. Sorry Neville; no African Butterfly Cichlid this time.

New Threads