Suggestions on a tank?

tekkguy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
At one time, I had several tanks and have kept many different species. When we moved 2 years ago, I gave my last tank away to my sister. Now that my oldest daughter is 5, I'm thinking about a new tank for the house, but I'm not sure what I should get.

We have a "bar" between our kitchen and dining room that isn't used for anything at the moment. I think it would be the perfect place for a new tank, but I would need a tank that looks good from both sides (in other words, no huge filter hanging off the bank, big mess of cords, etc.). Since it won't be up against a wall, I want to make sure the cords can be easily hidden.

Should I go with a (relatively) inexpensive "normal" 10g tank and somehow hide the cords? Or would I be better off with a Fluval Edge or something like it? How do you hide the cords for your tank in a pretty much free-standing environment? I'm not looking for a tank with a huge footprint.

I plan on ordering a tank from Amazon, as I have about $200 in credit there to spend on a tank, substrate, decorations, etc. It will be my first fully planted tank - in the past, I've only kept 1 or 2 live plants in a tank.

Ava

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It depends on what kind of fish and how many you want in the tank. A ten is a decent size tank and like you said - inexpensive. Although, I have my 20 high on my breakfast bar/shelf thing that divides my living room and kitchen and I love it there. I can see it from almost every room. My filters and heater are on the short side facing the wall and the chords (with surge protector) are long enough that they slide under into the shelf underneath out of sight. IMO, a 20 high isn't too much larger (footprint wise) than a ten, but it gives you a little more fish/plant room to play with. I would say size-wise it's up to you. What species were you planning on putting in said aquarium?

Samurai Jack 77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently bought a Fluval Edge. the 6 gallon tank that looks like its almost "Floating". It has the glass top to make it look like a glass cube.
So far I really like it. It was really easy to set up and It does a decent job of hiding all the cords our of the spine on the back side. Over all I'd recommend it. I currently have 1 dwarf gourami and 5 neon tetras in it. Its pretty small tho and not much else will be going in it. I got mine for 130$ retail. and it comes with everything you need to start. Then I put white sand in it and a few fake plants to start out.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to FishLore!

Fluval Edges are definitely fancier-looking than your standard tank and would be a great centerpiece, but they are pretty pricey. To avoid a filter hanging off the tank, you can get a canister filter and store it under the bar (if there are cabinets), though hiding cords will still be pretty difficult.

Before you pick a size tank you want, I would think about what kind of fish you'd like. You may decide on a 10 gallon, but then see fish you really like, but they might require a 20 gallon tank. (Unless of course the size of the bar limits you to 10 gallons.)

tekkguy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I haven't decided on fish yet. I keep going back and forth on whether I want a straight community tank, or whether I want a betta in the tank, with a small school of neons, or some shrimp, etc.

Obviously, if I do the Edge (I'd probably do the 12 gallon one), a betta is out of the question.

I will either do the betta as a focal point of the tank, or I will do some type of larger school, possibly a single species tank if do the school. I want it to be active enough that the kids take interest in it.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Why would a betta be out of the question in a 12 gallon? While 5 gallons is the minimum, most betta afficionados keep them in nothing less than 10 gallons.

However most members advise against keeping other fish with bettas. Bettas are solitary fish by nature, and while some may tolerate other tankmates, they certainly don't want them there, and the day may come when they change their mind and go after the fish. Additionally, nippy fish may go after the betta's long, flowing fins. I wouldn't keep shrimp with them because most bettas will eat them. I had a blue and red betta in a tank with black sand, and I thought some yellow neos would have looked great, but decided against it because I didn't want them to turn into an expensive snack

However, as much as I love bettas, if you're looking for activity for your kids I'd go with a school of something. I currently have endlers in one of my tanks and they're great - very colorful and active, stay small and low bioload so you can have quite a few, not schooling fish though so there isn't a minimum.

If you're leaning towards an Edge I would totally get the 12 gallon, it will give you more options stocking-wise. In my 20 long I'm planning a dwarf gourami and a bunch of male endlers (still quarantining Igor the gourami). Lots of color and activity, and Igor is surprisingly interactive.

tekkguy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The betta would be out of question in the Edge because there is very little airspace at the top of the tank. The Edge is designed to be filled completely to the top glass, and there is only a small area at the very top where the filter comes in that is actually exposed to the air.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ohh I see. I've never had one. Keep in mind that all fish need oxygen, and if there isn't room for surface exchange then that could be a problem. Once you actually get the tank, I would make sure not to let the temperature climb too high, since oxygen is not as soluble in higher temperature-water, and there might be an oxygen problem anyway.

In that case I would disregard my mention of a gourami, since they are anabantoids like bettas and breathe from the surface.

Another thought is to include an airstone, which would help aerate the water, though it would also add another cord to hide.

marine590622

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
At one time, I had several tanks and have kept many different species. When we moved 2 years ago, I gave my last tank away to my sister. Now that my oldest daughter is 5, I'm thinking about a new tank for the house, but I'm not sure what I should get.

We have a "bar" between our kitchen and dining room that isn't used for anything at the moment. I think it would be the perfect place for a new tank, but I would need a tank that looks good from both sides (in other words, no huge filter hanging off the bank, big mess of cords, etc.). Since it won't be up against a wall, I want to make sure the cords can be easily hidden.

Should I go with a (relatively) inexpensive "normal" 10g tank and somehow hide the cords? Or would I be better off with a Fluval Edge or something like it? How do you hide the cords for your tank in a pretty much free-standing environment? I'm not looking for a tank with a huge footprint.

I plan on ordering a tank from Amazon, as I have about $200 in credit there to spend on a tank, substrate, decorations, etc. It will be my first fully planted tank - in the past, I've only kept 1 or 2 live plants in a tank.
I would start by asking what size footprint can you support? Could you fit a four foot by 1 foot tank?

If you are talking a planted tank, what are you planning for light? These are really starting point for determining what you want to do. In a heavily planted tank, with good light, you don't need filtration as much as you need pumps to move the water, In a heavily planted tank with low light, you still need filtration but not as much as you would with an unplanted tank. One problem I see is aquascaping a tank to be viewed from both the "front" and "back". One way these problems is to do a tangle of driftwood with ryzome plants tied off to the driftwood.

Your profile does not say where you are at, so further recommendations on ways to save money, might be off the mark

for my substrate I end up paying about $10 per 50 pounds for my planted tanks.

tekkguy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The more I look at it, the more I think I might end up with a shrimp tank. I think I could do a grassy or mossy bottom on the tank, and that might help the aquascaping from both sides of the tank. A sort of hilly, mossy bottom with a few taller plants and some driftwood might be my best bet for a good view from both sides.

Samurai Jack 77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I saw a beautiful tank that was viewable from both sides that had moss all around the bottom, a piece of driftwood in the middle and a few sword plants in the very middle. and the fish just swam around and through everything and it looked really cool.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom